DelftShip

Discussion in 'Ship Plans' started by SnipeHunter, Dec 18, 2010.

1. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

I know some of you have heard of/used DelftShip, but there has been a bit of banter about it on the IRCWCC list recently so since I'm away from the workshop and can't really do much else I decided I'd give it a try. While I dont have as many plans stored on my computer as somepeople (Tugboat im lookin at you) I have enough to get started. Anyway I downloaded the software and did the first tutorial which was kinda hairy but good enough. (It is in essence a 3D CAD program, how hard can it be?) Anyway so I once I got the tutorial out of my head and figured out how I wanted to approach the model it was pretty easy. (alright the turorial wasn't THAT bad and it does teach you pretty much everything you need for our basic purposes)

Anyway the following took me about 4-5 hours including preprocessing the drawing scans in photoshop, end result a set of frames which while not perfect is sufficient for building a hull.

[​IMG]

Overall Its a pretty nice piece of software especially for the price(free). If you buy the real version you get some other cool features but none that are really nesccesary for our purposes. Once you get the base hull modeled into the software its super easy to have it spit out frames for building which I view as the real advantage/reason to use it.

2. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Except that you can't print the frames drawing from the free version, right?

3. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

Not printing would be a major drawback.

What ship is it?

4. SnipeHunter

Haven't tried, but its not really an issue.
    Screenshot>Photoshop(or image editor of choice)>Edit>double check scale>Print
    Plus I dont have a printer so If I want to print it having ribs as PDFs or JPEGs are easier print somewhere else since Delftship isn't needed.

What boat is it? thats for me to know and you to guess. (Iceman you're not allowed to guess since you know what it is. sorry)
    Oh and dont let the gunwale throw you off its not correct but I haven't figured out how to stop it from displaying (not that it matters for hull sections.)

EDIT: After messing around some I think you're right Tug, I dont see a way to print directly from DelftShip but again I dont really view that as an issue since there is an easy workaround.
    EDIT 2: Actually you CAN print from the free version. Rightclick>Print doh .... and save images directly from DelftShip without the printscreen workaround. (I dont actually have a printer but it lets me "print" it to the xps doc writer so thats close enough cause you can just print that if it wont let you print to an actual printer, but I doubt thats the case..)

5. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Your glorious deviousness (deviosity?) brings great credit to you and to the Dark Side which you serve. :)

6. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Would that be the battlecruiser Kongo?
    I'm having a hard time finding any ships that match your model's forward profile. Especially that funky deck profile, it is very bottle-necked. Certainly, nothing German or British that I have seen is anywhere close to that. My first thought was American, around California class or so, but all of the American ships shaped like that had Atlantic bows, not ram bows. A very interesting challenge, for sure.

7. SnipeHunter

You're first thoughts were pretty close.

After looking at it some more the problem you're having is the plans I drew it from are mislabeled(so I modeled it distorted), frame 3 is really frame 2, frame 4 is frame 3, frame 5 is frame 4, etc (to some as of yet undetermined point since the last frame is correct, not that that means much to you since you don't have the hull frames from the drawings but that's what the deal is.) I'll fix them tomorrow night and re-post the corrected version, yay for screwy plans. Nice thing is I only have to change a few numbers(base frame locations on the x-axis) around inside DelftShip and it will fix itself automagically.

EDIT:
    And since I didnt really want to go to bed yet....
    [​IMG]
    The front is still a little strange because I haven't fully figured out how to do casements well, so if you're going to try this I'd suggest go with something without casemates for an initial go. (the armor belt and bulge were pretty easy)

8. Remo

Remo New Member

Btw, what I did with my plans from Delfship was to export the hull to .obj file, and wrote a script in Blender to export the complete rib + keel + deck plate from the .obj to .svg file (DXF export is broken in the current Beta. 2.5 ),
    I simply set in the script what the rib spacing , thickness , width must be .
    The final export include gaps in the ribs + keel + deck where the ribs fit in.
    The .svg file you can print on any required scale..