DesMoines wondering why

Discussion in 'Ship Comparison' started by Powder Monkey, May 9, 2008.

1. Powder Monkey

Powder Monkey Active Member

I was wondering why lots of guys are picking the DesMoines I think it is funny (not funny haha but funny weird) you see more and more people looking for the DesMoines class Hull however only three where built (now I might be wrong I'm not a history major just a buff) but I believe all three where to late to play a roll in WWII now don’t get me wrong here I love the ship and they where instrumental in post war and other conflicts but I would think there would be more interest in the 17 Baltimore class seeing as there is more history there .I’m glad in one aspect it makes my ship unique [^] but as I said it strikes me as odd perhaps it is just because some one made the mold and its convenient but than why did no one make the Baltimore mold HUMMM!!!!!

2. Powder Monkey

oh and I don’t want a date so don’t tell me size matters [;)]

3. U571

U571 Member

What? I dont get it...
    hmmmm... wierd...
    Nevermind... I.. think...
    I.. just... got... it... ...kinda...

4. Powder Monkey

DesMoines 17,000 tons 716 ft 6 in is a little bigger than the Baltimore 13,600 tons 673 ft 3 in (205.2 m) however they are rated the same 3.5 in fast guns any how

5. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

In the MWC Des Moines gets more rudder area then the Baltimore does. It also has more hull volume and more weight to play with, and more room to fit stuff in.

6. Powder Monkey

Ahh why yes it dose [V] but still no history for the time era we are playing in so hoe did it end up more popular other than size

7. crzyhawk

The Baltos don't exactly have an inspiring history either, and a lot of guys don't build the ships for their history, they build them for their performance. Sad to say, for most applications, the Des Moines is the superior ship (as it was in real life). Personally, I'd rather have a Baltimore then a Des Moines, but for most guys, the Des Moines is a superior ship.

8. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Being over 700' gets the Des Moines an extra 50% rudder area. Not too much longer, but enough to get the extra rudder area.

9. Powder Monkey

[:0] Well as for inspiring history they don’t have an individual one on one slug out but they more than did there part as screeners for the air craft carriers in the task force and bombardments of shore batteries the Boston alone received 10 battle stars for her World War II service and 5 more during the Vietnam conflict and went on to be the world's first guided missile cruiser maybe than not so superior ship [;)]

well I'm with you I would rather have the Baltimore to hey wait a minute I do [:D]

I can see where the biger size would be an easier build but I never did like to do it the easy way

10. Powder Monkey

I get the same advantage in IRCWCC Rules [:p]

11. crzyhawk

Yes, for the IRCWCC Baltimore is a better choice (IMHO).

Yes, the Baltimores did make decent carrier screens (although no better then a Cleveland, and worse then an Atlanta/Oakland), but for me personally it's the muzzle to muzzle gun actions which I find truly interesting. I'd take a the Salt Lake City over just about anything (see my sig!) or the USS Portland over any Des Moines, Baltimore or Cleveland. Some of the Brooklyn/St Louis types had some interesting actions as well, particularly Helena and Honolulu.

If I was doing a British cruiser, it would have to be the Norfolk or Sheffield. Norfolk scored hits on both Bismarck and Scharnhorst, and Sheffield was involved in both actions as well as laying a pretty epic beat down on the Admiral Hipper.

12. Ragresen

Ragresen Member

I picked mine on Family history with the ship. My Grandfather served on her between 50 and 55 as a Machinist mate in Engine room 4. I have access to some very nice stuff from his time aboard and actually plan to build a non-battle usable one for him at some point. I just gotta get better at building superstructures.

As far as a performing ship. so far I would have rather picked a smaller cruiser like a Cleveland or a Baltimore. My Des Moines has held up well against another newer battler and his Scharny, but really the Des Moines is just a really big snipeing ship that needs to be set up right OR else you are forced to get in close and then at a major disadvantage.

13. ProfessorChaos

ProfessorChaos Active Member

Also, she gets triple stern guns. Personally, I love seeing one on the water. So much tasty freeboard.

14. DeletedUser

DeletedUser Guest

would be sooo funny if a yamoto was pounding the crap out of a Des Moines

15. Powder Monkey

HUMMM Funny HA HA or funny weird [8]

16. Powder Monkey

Well crazy like I said I’m no scholar however if we where to use the battle Stars as a grade I have to say the Boston out did the Atlanta by half being 10 to 5 but I guess unless we put them in the water and let them go at each other one will never know. Since she was ordered to be abandoned and sunk with a demolition charge by Capt. Jenkins off of Kukum November 1942 after the Naval Battle of Guadalcanal and the Boston scraped in 1975 it will be up to us model makers to see it thru [:D]

17. crzyhawk

hehe we could always use the two sisters of the Atlanta, San Juan (13 battle stars) and San Diego (15 battle stars).

They never fought other surface ships, so their history isnt very interesting. Simply AA platforms.

18. Powder Monkey

[:0] well you got me there [V]

19. Ragresen

Ragresen Member

Personally take down I do find your comment a little rude. But I have had my Des Moines in the water with a Great Sea Cow ( Yamoto ) and while she did get a few shots in on me I did deal her more damage. The Yammer is just a very hard ship to sink and I will give my friend credit who was battling his yammer. Despite the problems he did not once sink despite being shot at by a large number of ships in the battles and still having only silk span repairs to his damage that was left over from Nats 2007.

20. Powder Monkey

[:(] Take it from the source Rag.

But lots think that way of us little ships humm, perhaps they have never read the story of Davy and Goliath [;)]