digging out my stuff

Discussion in 'North Atlantic Battle Squadron' started by JasonC, Jun 27, 2012.

1. JasonC

JasonC Active Member

well with all the resent activity on here thought i would dig out my ships. Havent had them sailing in 2 years got vdt and graf spee gutted and re-sheeted today and gona get the guts working this weekend. quich question where can i find a 20lb co2 tank and fill station? and where can i find the 1/8" and 1/16" hose?

2. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Check with BC or Strike or clippard pneumatics, or Wainbee Clippard parts in Burnside Park . They may take an order for you from there. The 20 lb tank you can obtain from any place that sells and services Fire extinguishers.

3. sinkin321

sinkin321 Member

There is a place in burnside that is on Ilesly ave.. If you go in by the Scotia Bank they are in the next building on the Burnside dr. side called C & B and they carry hoses, quick connects and fittings. Simplex Grundle in the park on windmill rd. down by the ford dealer carries the tanks.

4. JasonC

JasonC Active Member

what rule set is everybody running atm just so i can get my ships up to speck?. John out remember how much one of them tanks would set ya back? I have seen online for about 250ish?

5. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

I am running IRCWCC rule set. I think everyone is running the same.

6. JasonC

JasonC Active Member

kool just wanted to make sure

7. JasonC

JasonC Active Member

Well after 2 ish weeks got to test run the 2 ships I have been working on. I guess VDT has massive drive systems problems struts broke loose and I destroyed a prop and the motor over heated. I’m gona have ta try and see what wrong with the motors. As for the Graff Spee, everything worked great and no leaks or anything. Only problems he seemed to be running slow but the pond I was on was full of junk and kept gunking up the props and he kept ploughing around pine needles and grass. Well here are some shots of the day just a note the hulls are only primed and the SS still needs work
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. Craig

Craig Active Member

Looks great Jason! Keep it up! Your GF is looking good!

9. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Graff Looks good so far. Nice work.

10. JasonC

JasonC Active Member

so pending some more speed tests ill have 2 combat ready ships less some painting befor the end of next week so who has ships ready to fight?

11. JasonC

JasonC Active Member

spent more time in the shop last night got some super work done on AGS and some other word some on rewiring the ships got a friend helping me that is trained on working with this kinda wiring

bow shot of AGS

[​IMG]
    stern shot of AGS
    [​IMG]
    Super shot showing some of the "camo" AGS had during her final voyage
    [​IMG]
    Evan the friend how has been helpping me with my ships he will be also running AGS
    [​IMG]
    my Ship yard atm
    [​IMG]
    same
    [​IMG]
    and same
    [​IMG]

12. HMCS

HMCS Active Member

Looking good, found any good battling ponds up here? I know a lot of ponds to sail in, but being farmers irrigation ponds they won't allow shooting as they don't want bb's sucked into the pumps by mistake.

13. buttsakauf

buttsakauf Well-Known Member

Wind class!! woot

14. JasonC

JasonC Active Member

good eye mike yes its the CCGS Labador when i do get to building her shouldent take much she is gona be a cargo ship. and as for ponds scott we have sound a small one measuring only 100'x150' its the one between the soccer and baceball fields in kentville.

15. Quintanius

Quintanius Member

Nice ships man - looking smart. I'm new to the hobby up here in Alaska - do if you ever find yourself visiting, look me up. We have massive amounts of lakes up here. There are about 12 in town here, but I doubt I can fire BB's in any of them. Need to go outside the Municipality - should not be too bad. There are some good shallow gravel pits filled with water. And the water is so cold up here, that algae, grass, and other stuff dont grow well. Just lots of mosquitoes...and bears, naturally. Gota keep a weather eye out for the bears :)
    Cheer,
    Thomas

16. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

Wow, I forgot you had one of my HMS Gorgon/Glatton hulls with a fiberglass superstructure! I think I made only 3 superstructures, including the one for my Gorgon. I sold the molds to Strike but haven't seen the ss for Gorgon or the SNS Canarias ss and trunked funnel listed. (I'd love to build another Canarias - shouldn't have sold it.)
    Bob

17. Quintanius

Quintanius Member

Draft it up in 3D, and print it? You can get a free 3D drafting program from the Autodek website..its called 123D Catch or something...leme see.
    http://www.123dapp.com/123d
    Here you go..and below you will find printing services. You can build your stuff in 3D, save it as a STL file, upload it to their site, select the material, color etc, and get a quote from the program right away. Send it to them, and thats it - just wait for it to arrive. Neat stuff...
    Thomas

18. JasonC

JasonC Active Member

well lesson learned!!!

#1 If the pump is in and works hook it up

#2 If you let local kids run you ships keep an eye on your freeboard of the ship

#3 Attach float and ship

SO now what happened' well we were at the local pond speed testing and stuff and some kids and parents were at the park and of course the kids wana try. So we let them run the AGS, as my VDT was acting odd. Well I had the VDT on shore changing the props when iIhear
    "uh oh " and I look up the see the bow of the ship sticking vertical out of the water. So the float detaches has no string on it and the pond im testing on hads 6" of muck and can't see your hand if its just under the surface. Well after 10 or so mins of treging and finding a few 2 liter pop bottols we finally find the ship. The only thing missing is the back hatch and will problay never be found Other than that intersting day. Learned too that day the smaller props can make a ship faster?? Changed VDT from a 1.5" 45 4 blade to a 1.25" 25 4 blade odd eh?

19. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about that. That's one thing with letting people try your boat for the first time , they have no concept of what to look out for so your eyes on your boat must stick to it . Low freeboard ships driven backwards without a working pump will sink them quickly.

I had Bismarck at Nats with the small props and it ran too fast. I switched to the very large prop and it only needed drag discs to make it to speed.
    A small prop with a 35 pitch can move a model fast compared to a 25 pitch large dia prop. Number of blades and the motor rpm also factors.

Hope your VDT is ok.