Duel Hulled Battleship

Discussion in 'Construction' started by Jdoom, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Jdoom

Jdoom New Member

If this is not in the right section please inform me.
    Has any one ever made or attempted to make a dull hulled battleship, if so was it aloud to go into the battle?
    If any one has pictures of one please post if possible.

2. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

What do you mean by "dual-hulled" battleship? Are you talking about two hulls side-by-side like a Catamaran, or one hull inside the other? In either case, I'll bet the answer is no. In regards to catamarans, our ships are all based on historical ships. So if there was a catamaran-type ship, we could build it. But I've never seen any in all the reference books I've seen. I don't think I've even seen hypothetical catamaran-type ships. As for one hull inside the other, please remember that watertight bulkheads and other flooding-control devices are strictly regulated by the rules. If the second hull is large enough to prevent the ship from sinking, it's not allowed, and if it isn't large enough to prevent the ship from sinking, it's called a Water-Tight Box or electronics box.

3. Jdoom

Jdoom New Member

no i mean like a 2 battle ship hulls connected by a small chunk of balsa wood.
    If you type down "navel ops duel hull battleship" in google images you should get a image of one in a blue print design.

4. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

That would be a fictional ship, so no, like Kotori said all the ships we build are modeled after historical ships which actually existed.

5. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Not to add fuel to this discussion, but one version of the LCS is a trimaran. That said, it's only got a 57mm gun.

6. Jdoom

Jdoom New Member

Ok, once i get 2 battle ship hulls im gonna try it out for fun, the problum would be programing the controls.

7. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

As silly as this thread is, it does remind me of a poster that was up on the wall of the engineering office of the old USS Briscoe DD977. It depicted a very large sailing catamaran built from two surplus Fletcher class destroyers. She appeared to be sailing along at a good clip as one of the hulls was lifted out of the water! The verbiage on the poster was something about cost savings and recycling or something along those lines. It was a cool poster, tried to Google it but alas, no luck.

Steve

8. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

I think I may have seen a poster similar to the one you mentioned.
    Very real looking.
    Mikey

9. battleshipnewjersey312

battleshipnewjersey312 Member

sounds pretty cool

10. PrepmasterNick

PrepmasterNick Active Member

Could be the interest angle for prospective members. Show people what it could cost to build a sci-fi boat and how it'd work. I'm guessing less maneuverability than a full-blown battleship would be present unless you really get sci-fi and put a port propeller on it. Of course, now we-re on to two radios... lol. Captain and gunner for x amount of not so cheap turrets to mount. Put a carrier deck across the middle and move the superstructure so you have an aircraft carrier on stilts with (11) 3 barrel turrets? Could be fun to watch like 1 time.