DVD Format

Discussion in 'Washington Treaty Combat' started by Gettysburg114th, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Gettysburg114th

Gettysburg114th Well-Known Member

Does anyone know where you can purchase a DVD player that will play DVD's that are in the PAL color format? Region ?
    Hey little help,
    Thanks,

2. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

Just do a google search for region free dvd players.

I can not recommend any vendors as I have not purchased one.

3. HMCS

HMCS Active Member

We have a few 'universal' dvd players on Venture Sea that came from Walmart up here in Halifax,NS. We spent some of our(whole crew's) entertainment budget on them as the boat has dvd's from all over the place on it and each cabin had a bunch of dvd players so we simplified.

4. HMCS

HMCS Active Member

I should also say I don't know if the term is actually 'universal'. But if you go to walmart they should be able to help you, if I remember correct they weren't that expensive.

Edit: Not sure about PAL Color format,may have run across it and not been aware,something to check out.

5. HMCS

HMCS Active Member

Well did some quick online searching it would seem that DVD players sold in a specific region are only suppose to play that region codes dvd's. However a few different spots(wikipedia was one) said that most of the newer units do not have that chip installed at the factory which allows them to play any region, it was called Multi-Region or Region Free. Another option that popped up was you can get 'hack' codes for different regions online and you use your remote to enter the code and 'unlock' your dvd to play the specific code.

In terms of PAL format, I won't write it all out here but do a search and it will pop up, it's a European system,different then the North American standard.It said UK used it so if the dvd came from Hong Kong that could be a reason it's in that format.

Edit: Well after further searching PAL format will not work in any DVD players sold in North America.

6. Bryan

Bryan Member

Germany also uses PAL system,
    best is to take it to DVD shop
    where they have converters or
    can make you a North American
    standard DVD. Check the yellow
    pages.

Bryan