DX6 Spectrum Radio Problem

Discussion in 'Electrical & Radio' started by Buddy, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Buddy

Buddy Active Member

Ok guys
    Here is the deal and hopefully some one can come up with answers.
    New radio in new ship, ran 3 trials at local pond no problems. The ship uses a new Proboat speed control. Went into combat for first time saturday, high winds, ran speed tests, controls. ok First battle lost control went in to reverse and beached in lilly pads, no pump no guns.Got ship, checked everything and seemed dry, no water in box ship did not sink. Ok secound battle everything worked put in the water with everyone, battled started and here we go, again no control, nothing, finally got reverse to work and was sinking got to shore and went under. Again no water in box, took apart all connections dried and checked. Batteries checked , useing 6 volt 4 amphr gell cells. Tried 3 different others and no control. Suppenly ship regained control, so tried one more time, and once again shortly after battle started control lost and sinking due to no pump or other control. Radio got wet in getting ship back just before sinking. Radio was taken apart sprayed with wd 40 to get water out and dried, left open to air dry. At this point I called it a day and just watched. Packed up and went home. Today I put radio back together and turned on the switch and prayed, nothing! I then thought maybe the battery lost charge, plugged into the charger and no light to show it was charging, let sit for 30 minutes and tried again , nothing. So it looks like one dead new spectrum radio.
    Buddy

2. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

Buddy
    The first thing I would do would be to install a MAG throttle in the boat and run it to see if the ESC was causing the trouble,
    or if the problem was in the radio. As the ESC that you were using has no indicator lights, it is hard to tell if the ESC is getting
    a signal from the radio.
    Of course if the radio is now dead, but I hope that it is not, then I would try installing an older radio in the boat just to see if
    it runs OK.
    It sure was fun battling with you again.
    Mikey

3. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

A problem we found with some Spectrum receivers was the annoying tendency to desync from the transmitter when the receiver voltage fell below a certain threshold even for a second, such as the startup voltage drop when a motor (drive or pump) was turned on. The fix was to use a separate receiver battery pack.

Other than that, it kinda sounds like a transmitter power issue, either battery pack or internal regulator.

4. Buddy

Buddy Active Member

Ok how do you hook up a receiver pack and still use the proboat speed control? Or do I have to use a mag throttle?
    Buddy

5. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure the red wire on the Proboat servo plug can be pulled out of the plug. That will disconnect the BEC feature yet allow the signal to still control the ESC. Its been a while since I played with the Proboats, but I think that was it.

6. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

servo and battery first, make sure the channels all work. Go from there.

7. Buddy

Buddy Active Member

Hi Guys
    Hey after talking with Joe Maxwell up in erie pa. I found out that the airplane guys have ben having a lot of problems with their DS6 spectrums park flyers like I have. It has to do with range, it seems that with the little 2 or 3 inch wires that are for the anntenna have to stay at 90 degrees or they block each other out. They also have to be away from any batteries or motors that cause a electrical interfernce. I told him where I have it mounted in my water box and he said to try moving it as high in the ship as possiable above the water line. He also told me that soem of the submarine guys tried the radios andthey didnt work at all for them.
    Buddy

8. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

Keeping it higher is better, keeping it away from electrical noise is a good practice. Make sure if you have the remote antenna, it is plugged in too. I've never personally seen an antenna problem in our boats with the 3 inch antennas (which is why we like them) The question is, does it work on the bench with a 4.8 battery and a servo? Also make sure the voltage is good and constant going to the receiver in the boat.
    2.4 g does not work underwater. It won't work for sub guys.

9. Buddy

Buddy Active Member

Well right now I have to get the transmitter to work again, that is the first thing to do. One thing he mentioned also was the way the wires were run for the antenna, mine are at 90 degrees from each other straight out of the casing , I was told I have to keep them at that, basically the way they had any success was one at a verticaal and one horizontally, was the way worked for the ariplane guys.
    Buddy

10. DarrenScott

DarrenScott -->> C T D <<--

I've fitted longer antenna wires to my Rodney, so that the vital last inch or so is actually poking above the superstructure.
    No range problems at all now.