El-Noobador

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Moboy54, Jan 25, 2010.

1. Moboy54

Moboy54 New Member

Hey everyone, I am a noob from Eureka Missouri. I have looked into this in the past and danced around getting into it several times. If anyone knows of any good ships, or how to books for a beginner I would greatly apreciate it!

2. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

Welcome aboard! The closest you'll find to a beginner's book is this forum here. You find plenty of advice on beginners ships and such. Probably the first thing to know is what is the nearest club, because they are most likely the ones you will end up playing with. I don't recall the nearest club right off the top of my head but you can check the captain finder or other members will chime in.

3. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard.
    There are some great how-to threads in the warship builds, and ship plans sections on here.
    You may be fairly close to some of the MWCI folks out in Mo. Farmington, and Springfield come to mind.
    Mikey

4. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

Dan we have a battle in Farmington Memorial Day weekend, Just a couple hours south from you. There are a couple guys in the St Louis area that have ships and will be at the battle. Check out portpolarbear.com on the articles page for new guy info.

5. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

Hi Dan,
    There is plenty of MWCI fast gun action in MO. In May we have the Tangler at Engler in Farmington which should be very close to you. In September we have the Throwdown in MOtown in Springfield.
    I know of at least 2 active battlers in MO and I am sure there are more. There are several in the arkansas/mo border area that come to the events as well.
    I fight Axis and as such would recommend an AXIS beginners ship and I am not as familiar with all the Allied ships. I know I was referred to a 4 unit Von Der Tann which would be a simple build. There is a good beginners VDT that may still be for sale in MN that is nearly ready to go and you would be able to attend the event in May. The folks that sell the ship may also be there but if not there will be folks around to help you out.
    Building a ship from scratch can be tough and I still have my VDT hull after 2 years. I bought a 5.5 unit Baden which has a reputation as a very tough ship and a good turner.

The bottom line is to get on the water right away so you can learn how to drive and fight the ship and from that you will learn what to look for in a ship. Until then it will be guesswork.
    Check this link: www.mwci.org/contacts.shtml for contacts in MO.
    I am not sure what other groups are in the area such as Big Gun or Ircww.
    Johnny

6. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

Sorry Bob, I just now saw your post. DOH!

7. Buddy

Buddy Active Member

welcome aboard ! There is a quite a few people out your way. Check out your local people and look the ships over ,see what it takes and go from there. I believe you will find a lot of good people here willing to lend a hand!
    Buddy

8. Moboy54

Moboy54 New Member

Thanks every body! I am hoping that I can get something going here and get on the water as fast as I can!

9. AlanH

AlanH Member

Hello Dan i'm a fellow beginer it is a plessure havin you here