Esc choice

Discussion in 'Electrical & Radio' started by crzyhawk, Aug 14, 2012.

1. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

What are the recommended escs these days? I have some proboats atm, but prefer something with 100%reverse, and no delay. I'm using brushed motors.

2. buttsakauf

buttsakauf Well-Known Member

I have used the Mtroniks products with success. One minor exception is that I had one where reverse pooped out. That was probably a construction/ hookup error on my part though.

3. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

mtroniks. I've used proboats, I don't trust them anywhere near as much as I trust the mtroniks

4. crzyhawk

I thought I remembered something about mtronics having a delay and/or only 50% reverse. Is there a model I should look for or one I should avoid?

5. buttsakauf

buttsakauf Well-Known Member

Maybe in the past. I bought a few in a past year and the motors on the couple I tested reversed instantly and wailed equally loud in both directions. Very unscientific but seemed fine to me.

6. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

A workaround for the Proboat 50% reverse is to gear the ship to go forward at speed while at 50% forward throttle. Then forward and reverse will have the same rpm at the props.

7. crzyhawk

Yeah, that was the plan with the Invincible. However, even with full 100% forward, I couldn't even make treaty speed. I need to do some work with my drive train to cure that. Direct drive 380s, with huge props was /not/ the right answer.

That being said, I'm out of proboats...and need more ESCs. I dont see a point to buying more proboats if I can find a product that suits my needs a little better. if not, I'll pick up some more proboats and be fine with that.

8. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

If you are using brushed motors, the Mtronics Marine 15 is good. Been using the same one for 6 years now, and it's run two 380 motors by itself in the I-boat at fast gun speeds. Did great work in the SMS Scharnhorst, too. I have no delay from forward to reverse at all.

9. crzyhawk

Good deal. I am using brushed motors (mabuchi 380s in this case). I dont see the need to upgrade to bushless for what it is I do.

10. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

Putting props larger than 1 1/4" is going to overload the Mabuchi 380s. To check for this run the props out of the water, then put them in the water. If you can hear the RPMs drop way down you have too much prop on too small of a motor. The motors will also get pretty hot. Motors should run cool or get just a little warm.
    I've seen several people speed testing and putting on larger pinion gears to up there speed only to wonder why their speed goes down. I burned out a couple sets of motors as a rookie with 1 1/2" props on my cruiser. I started putting ice on them at the start of battle to try and keep them cool.

An I-boat should have gear boxes with 550 motors and 1 1/2" 4 blade props. Direct drive is for ships 12lbs and under running 1 1/4" and lower.

11. crzyhawk

Yeah, that's what I figured the problem was. I did burn myself on the motors, and overheated the ESC to boot. I'm lucky I didnt straight up fry the esc.

When I ran in the IRCWCC, I ran direct drive 550's with 1.5" props, and the ship performed beautifully. They were 7 years old and worn out (one started smoking on the bench) so I replaced them with the 380s on hand. I figured since I was only needed 34 seconds instead of 26, that the 380s would be fine using the same configuration I had when I ran her as a fast gun ship. You live and learn.

I ordered the 380 gearboxes from BC and 1.25" props from BC, which I believe should correct my issues. I'll run the same drive setup on the cruiser Graf Spee. I dont think I should need full up 550's since I'm not trying to get up to fast gun speeds, and we don't play the stern to stern back up games nearly as much in treaty as the MWC/IRCWCC does. If I was still battling with the IRCWCC, I wouldn't even think about the smaller motors or props.