ESC Problem

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by CaptDC, Jul 21, 2012.

1. CaptDC

CaptDC New Member

I have been using a proboat waterproof esc w/ reverse (riptide) on my battleship for several years with no problem. Recently I've run into a problem that has baffled me. I can go from forward to reverse and back again several times. After about 4 or 5 cycles, when I go into reverse, I loose all power. I don't even have forward, just dead. I still have power coming in to the ESC, but nothing coming out. I've checked my wiring to make sure I didn't have any loose connections or corrosion, changed out switches. I even went to a new never used ESC, but I still have the problem. I'm dead in the water in more ways than one. Does anyone have any ideas?

2. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Have you checked your battery? Some ESCs have problems with voltage dips when the motors get loaded down.

3. CaptDC

CaptDC New Member

I have the same problem on the water or on the bench. IThe battery levelruns at 5.8.

4. bear23462

bear23462 Active Member

From your description, sound like the ESC maybe overheating. If you determine that it is overheating, check and see if your motor(s) have a short or one of your shafts is binding. Either would cause excessive current draw through the ESC and shut her down.

5. JasonC

JasonC Active Member

we had the proboat esc's do that when there were new a few years ago maybe it just wore out? you have a spare?

6. bear23462

bear23462 Active Member

In his initial thread, he posted that he switched the ESC.

7. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

I had similar problems with Proboat ESCs when they were first released in 2004/2005. Some people always had problems with Proboat, others sometimes had problems, still others never. I switched to Mtroniks and never went back. Do you have a different brand of ESC you can test? Or a different ship to test the ESC in? It may be a safety feature in the ESC that your ship just recently started tripping. It may not even be something with your ship, either. For all we know, maybe some idiot set up a new cell phone tower and is now messing with your radio signal. Stuff like that happens distressingly often in California.

8. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

I had a similar problem with my proboat in the Invincible this year. I'd be cruising along (read running for my life) and it would switch into reverse. Not good. I also found that while I was being left alone, it would randomly switch into reverse, even if it was just sitting there. I talked with Dustin, and we determined it was likely overheating since I had it in my watertight box.

That night, I pulled it out of the watertight box and put it down in the bilge so it could get some water running over it, and the problem went away.

9. jch72

jch72 Active Member

Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
    The receiver lead wire may be corroded inside the insulation. I have seen similar behavior on servos with corroded leads.
    Ron Hunt