ESC Speed Adjustment

Discussion in 'Electrical & Radio' started by tgalx3, Feb 16, 2010.

1. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

I just got a new ESC. It’s the Mtronic Viper Marine 40amp. I went to the lake today to try it out and I am way to fast. I am 4 seconds fast on 6v as oppose to 2 seconds fast on 12v (if some of you recall from my resistor problem). Is there a way to slow the top speed down from the ESC to make time? I know about drag discs but I really don’t want to do that. Also, is there a way to slow it down on the beach?

2. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

Adjusting the end points in your transmitter will reduce the speed.

3. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

Is there a way to do that from the beach. I need a computer to do that for my radio.

4. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

what radio do you have? if it is computer interface only, that is one of the problems with the "computer interface only"

5. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Alex, if you're using one of the HK 2.4ghz radios that can only be adjusted from a computer, there is a way you can adjust your speed without a computer. You can get a servo stretcher and use that to adjust your throttle.

http://www.servocity.com/html/180o_servo_stretcher.html

A servo stretcher extends the range of motion on servos, but both end points are adjustable. This allows you to adjust your ESC's throttle without using your radio. The servo stretcher does need to be waterproofed, however.

6. wrenow

wrenow RIP

Easiest, bring a laptop to the pond. Or an inexpensive netbook. You can pick them up for $200 or less.

You can also do it with several trips to the bench for testing, of course. Adjust by best guestimate (say, go to an EPA fo 80%) and see where you are at the pond. If too slow or two fast, take next guess by how close you were. Might take 3-4 trips to "dial it in". Once you are close, you might be able to your manual trim to adjust a bit to perhaps fine tune it and read the offset when you get back to see how much you need to add or subtract.