ESC wiring

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by Jay Jennings, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Jay Jennings

Jay Jennings Well-Known Member

Hey all,
    Can anyone tell me how to wire up two or three ESCs. I know that there is a modification necessary but don't know what it is. I am going to run Scharnhorst on two or possibly three motors. Haven't decided yet.
    Thanks,
    J

2. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

I would recommend running the Sharny on one motor driving the center shaft for best turning. :)

If you do go with multiple motors and ESCs, you can use a "Y" harness or multiple channels mixed together on the transmitter. Only one ESC should have the middle servo wire plugged in ... any extras should have the middle wire pin on the servo plug pulled out to prevent BECs from competing.

Of course, if you are using brushed motors, then one ESC might be enough to run all three depending on ESC and motor sizes. My Richelieu uses a single 60 amp speed control to power two motors in a parallel circuit. Works fine.

3. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

First question. Are you using the ESC's to power the receiver or another power source?

If you are using the ESC's, do as mike said and remove the positive lead from two of the three ESC's, as the built in BEC's can not be run together.

If you are using an external power source for the receiver, remove the positive leads from the servo connectors on all three esc's

4. Jay Jennings

Thanks to you both.
    Yes, the ESCs are going to power the RX. So the +'ve lead is the red one and is the middle one of the three. So I can under stand how it works, does the red lead supply the RX power through the BEC and the power for the ESC itself comes in through the main power plug? That would make the brown lead redundant and the orange lead is the control line that comes from the RX to control speed.
    J

5. Jay Jennings

Hi Mike, do you have any pics of the Bearn? I would like to see some of it.

Thanks

J

6. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

Although you can pull the red wire from the plug, the ESC needs the control wire and ground wire to operate.

I don't have any pictures beyond those in the Bearn build thread. I'll get the link posted here in a moment ... www.rcnavalcombat.com/Forum/tabid/5...fault.aspx