Expanding the Free Plans page?

Discussion in 'Ship Plans' started by Beaver, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

I was wondering if maybe some of us that have open source plans could donate them to the free plans page on here. I have lots of plans, but unfortunately lots of them are copy right. I do have some open source plans that are cleaned up and quite nice, but I can't put them on the plans page by myself. I know when I first got started, it was hard enough trying to pick which ship to build, but it was more frustrating trying to find plans for the one I picked. I think it would be a great help to those getting started to have a good supply of plans already cleaned and scaled, and all they have to do is print them out.
    I have a few open source plans that I have cleaned up and scaled, and would gladly have an administrator put them on the page.
    So far, all I have cleaned up are: USS Fletcher, FN Bearn*, T2 Tanker, and some IJN Yamato, which might be copyright, but I'm not sure.
    I'm also working on cleaning up a set of Conte Di Cavour plans that aren't copyright.
    So, is anybody game?
    Beaver

*Mike M on here had some Bearn plans, but the link for them isn't working, so I cleaned up a set.

2. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

One thing that is a concern for those of us who are capable of uploading to that section, is that we be absolutely certain that the plans are public domain or otherwise under a license that allows us to re-post them. Protection under the law for site administrators regarding infringing user content is non-existent if we are the offending users.

So, for anything you can show public domain for, we can make it happen. Anything else, you maybe should consider uploading to a google drive or something and starting a thread with links.

3. Beaver

So that would drop the list down to just the Fletcher and the Bearn. The Fletcher is from here, http://www.hnsa.org/doc/plans/index.htm , which is in the public domain as far as I know.

The Bearn is from, http://3dhistory.de/wordpress/ , which is in the public domain, right? The T2, and the Yamato, I'm not totally sure, so I guess I won't take the risk of copyright infringement. I also forgot, I have Suffren ribs that have been cleaned and scaled that I used on my Suffren. They are from the same place as the Bearn.

Beaver

4. gunner250

gunner250 Active Member

cool hay beaver is them plans to the Iowa not copyrighted

5. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

If the Bearn is from the French Archives it should be public domain.

6. Beaver

Aren't all those plans that are from 3D History from the French Archives?

Beaver

7. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

I believe all the French ones came from the french SHD website when it still had them up. There is nothing new on the 3d History website, that I didn't already have previously.

8. Beaver

So I guess they're still in the public domain. Unfortunately, I didn't get any of the plans from the French site before it crashed, so 3D History has been my main plan source for French stuff. Are the plans in the HNSV* open source?

Beaver

*http://www.hnsa.org/doc/plans/index.htm

9. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

the french plans are not truly in the public domain. Ask tugboat, he has them all, the plan was to make them publicly available but the french wanted an absurd amount of money from anyone mirroring them. Just because something is available free online even from the author does not make it public domain.

10. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

But if you want plans for a particular ship, let me know. I have them stored on my Google Drive, thanks to Chase and Nick for assisting in the compilation so that they are not lost to modellers :) If I have another heart scare I'll throw open read access to the drive so people can copy the library :) And Brian K has instructions on disseminating my stuff should it be necessary. Not getting maudlin, just covering my bases. I still have a lot of people to (try to) sink :) Don't worry.

11. GeekSpeed

GeekSpeed Active Member

Hey Tug, I was wondering, do you have any odd-ball plans? I have been looking for some of the early Brit dreanoughts (other than Dreadnought herself), the Brazilian dreads (Minas Gerais), and the early US dreadnoughts as they were in WWI. I can't seem to find anything that is even reasonable in regards to price.

12. Tugboat

I'll see what I've got when I get home tonight.

13. GeekSpeed

GeekSpeed Active Member

Thank you kind sir!

14. Remo

Remo New Member

If you converted the plans from the Frensh site to some 3d model ( Delftship , Google Sketch ) etc ( and remove the original plans from the project. would that still be considered a Copyright violation ?

15. Tugboat

I don't think so, as they were freely released (apart from not wanting the site mirrored) by the French government several years ago. The official site said nothing about any copyright, nor do the plans themselves.

16. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

I think you are right von Tug, a 3D model based on the plans (what ever the source) is the intellectual property of the creator of the model. The plans are just reference materials and are not being shared as such.

17. GI Jha

GI Jha New Member

Hi guys... I think I'm about a year late on this thread... :)
    I heard the discussion on plans. It's been a long desire to build the PT-109 from scratch. If anybody has the plans for the ship, guns and details ... it would be great!

18. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

19. GI Jha

GI Jha New Member

Many thanks!