Fast carriers

Discussion in 'Ship Comparison' started by Gascan, Dec 8, 2007.

1. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

Due to a recent rule change in the WWCC, aircraft carriers look more appealing. It looks like the Graf Zeppelin is 35kts, and I heard it has a bow thruster to aid maneuvering. Can anyone with Conways confirm the bow thruster and speed report, and are there any other carriers that fast?

2. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

From looking at all the specs that I have found, its from 33.8 knts up to 35. She was planned to have 200,000 SHP at a full load of around 28,000 tons, so that sounds about right. I think only the Iowa's had more SHP than what was planned for her. She never had see trials so it's all speculation at this point. Also I found nothing about bow thrusters, and the pictures, drawings don't show any either.

She is different looking for sure.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

Look to the Japanese carriers for speed also. The Sho and Zui were 34 knots+ and the Hiryu, Soryu, and Unryu classes were all 35+ IIRC. They also had a bit more history behind them then the Zeppelin did, since they actually made it to sea. I'm personally not a big fan of ships never completed. The fastest of the Allied carriers were the Yorktowns at 34 knots, but they only have a single rudder which may impact maneuverability, although one of the treaty guys said he battled an Enterprise at a Big gun event once, and was shocked by how maneuverable it was.

Depending on how you allocate guns to the carriers, the Japanese carriers also had FAR larger airgroups then the Zeppelin was designed for...

Mike D

4. Buddy

Buddy Active Member

Hey guys I heard the same thing on the Graf Zepplin about the bowthruster but in reall life they would never use it on the open seas it was meant to be used like in harbor or docking.

5. JustinScott

JustinScott Well-Known Member

What book is that?

6. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

Its a Polish-English bi-lingual book. Lots of nice pictures.

AJ Press No. 42 - Graf Zeppelin by Siegfried Breyer.

Visit this site

7. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

From Conway's.
    Two retractable Voith-Schneider propellers were fitted at the bow to assist manoeuvring.
    Mikey

8. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

Speed info from Conway's.
    As designed shaft horsepower was to be 200,000 for a speed of 35 knots.
    In 1942 it was decided to fit her with bulges so the speed fell to 33.8 knots.
    Mikey

9. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

I thought (perhaps incorrectly) that she was built on a modified Deutschland hull... true or not?

10. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

Tuggy, you probably have her confused with the CVL Seydlitz which was converted from a Prinz Eugen class heavy cruiser.