Fast gun Fire Control question...

Discussion in 'Electrical & Radio' started by sarges_heroes2003, Feb 13, 2008.

1. sarges_heroes2003

sarges_heroes2003 Member

I have a question about firing the guns. first I know there are basically two systems for firing the guns, in a fast gun ship.
    #1 the clippard little valve which when open sends HP to a bigger valve , at the gun, which then opens and your gun fires.
    #2 the solenoid is used in the place of the big valve and in stead of the little valve there is a switch. a servo is used to turn on the switch, then the solenoid opens and HP is sent on to the gun.

My question is this, is there any other way of actuating the solenoid? some kind of electrical circuit?

Thanks,
    Darren
    P.S. I don't trust my JR Sport servos to be as we say in the army, "Johny on the spot w/ the ammo" [:D][:p]

2. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

Alot of us use the TeamDelta electronic switch. $22 to trip the solenoids.

R/C Solid State D-Switch Part #RCE200.

Visit this site

3. sarges_heroes2003

sarges_heroes2003 Member

I was wanting to pull the right stick out of my JR F400 (4 channel analog airplane radio) and replace it with 4 buttons. would this team delta still work with this set up??
    How does it work with Multiple guns (stern guns)?? or separate guns (Stern gun & side mounts)??

P.S. looks like the DD's just got a boost! :)

4. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

As Dave has said, the TeamDelta electronic switch is quite capable of firing a bunch of solenoids, and is probably the best choice for your first build.

But if you're up for a small technical challenge, you could build a computer circuit yourself to do exactly that, using the PICAXE microcontroller. Dave (above) built himself a control board that plugs into the receiver, and allows him to fire his bow triple either one at a time or all at once. More advanced fire control computers are also possible.

As for using JR Sport servos, they'll probably do the trick. Personally, I use the cheapest standard Hitec servos I can find. They are robust enough to do the job, and when one eventually fails from too many sinkings (one or two servos per year) it only costs me $9 per servo to replace. I always keep a few spares handy, and design my ships for easy swaps.

5. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

The push buttons in your radio work with both the Team Deltas and the servos with a switch. You should come to the next PPB meetng at Ron's a couple weekends from now and check out the ships. I think the meeting is 2-24 noon until 5pm in Blaine.

6. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

Opps I thought you lived in MN, but I was wrong. That might be a little long of a drive. You should get together with Tom & Rick in KC or the 2 Kevins near St Louis.

7. sarges_heroes2003

sarges_heroes2003 Member

JR Sport servos only cost about $9 also. they have a "flight Pack" that is cheaper than ordering every thing separate too. I have used JR Sport on my RC aircraft and they work really well, its the connectors for servo arm to push rod that sucked.
    and all I needed was a good way to fire a few guns, gona save the fancy stuff for later.[8D]

8. wrenow

wrenow RIP

However, keep in mind that if it is an Air frequency radio (72MHz), it is not legal for surface use. If it is an Aircraft "style" radio, but is designed for or legally converted to 75MHz, then it would be OK.

Cheers,

9. Powder Monkey

Powder Monkey Active Member

wich one
    RCE200(A) 20 volts, 4.5 amps DC - ($22.00)
    RCE200(B) 60 volts, 2.0 amps DC - ($22.00)
    RCE200(C) 20 volts, 9.0 amps DC - ($28.50)
    RCE200(D) 60 volts, 4.0 amps DC - ($28.50)

10. djranier

RCE200(A) First one you listed. It will fire 3 solenoids with one no problem, if your ship has triples.

11. Powder Monkey

Powder Monkey Active Member

No not yet I’m trying to be a little offensive while keeping my nose clean (I hope) duels with a single off bow[^]

12. sarges_heroes2003

sarges_heroes2003 Member

I know this.[:)] I will have to send it in to some where (haven't looked at where yet) to get it changed. +plus I might need to change the crystal also. I haven't spoken to the club about getting a assigned channel. [^]
    I was just saying that I all ready have a good functioning radio that is just sitting on my shelf not being use full. id rather make it use full than go through the hassle of trying to sell it. besides this button mod is some thing i would like to do. so Id rather not try that on an expensive radio first.

13. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

It will probably be cheaper to buy a new radio, honestly. A 4-channel surface-legal radio is like a hundred and change.

Ex: Hitec Laser 4 with 2 servos for $114: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCJG8**&P=0

For a few bucks more, the much fancier Futaba 4EXA with 4 servos for $134... http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXKJD8**&P=0

14. wrenow

wrenow RIP

Or for $29.95, a Vex 6 channel computer radio makes a dandy battle radio. And, for a couple of hundred, you can convert it to 2.4G with the XPS Xtremelink and not worry about channel assignments. For more info on the Vex, see the How to section on http://www.ntxbg.org.

Cheers,

15. djranier

Just purchase the new Spektrum DX6i for $179, works fine, and you can program 99 different receivers into it, for all your different ships.

16. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

Can someone post a part number or other info on the diodes that you need for the solenoids?
    Thanks.
    Mikey

17. djranier

4001 diode.

18. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

Thanks Dave
    Mikey

19. wrenow

wrenow RIP

And, if you have notted on the other threads about radios, you can get a 6 channel compter programmable radio for under $60 all in including shipping (the Hobby King 6) or the Eurgle 8-9 channel for about $100. Hobby King (from Hobby City) is expected to have one like the Eurgle out shortly (both R2's and HKs radios are OEM'g by Flysky, as are Turnigy, for the most part).

The HK 4 channl radios ($30 no EPA's or other programming), and HK 6 channel radios ($33) have been tested in combat environments with flying colors, and are 2.4 gHz radios which are easy to modify (I have already modded a HK-6 to replace the right stick with a slider and a switch, and moved some switches around, and replaced a switch with a trigger). Caveats: You do need to scotchkote the RXs guyt that is easy. The HK-6 is not for faint of heart or newb, as you have to find the instructions and programming software on the net (start at RC Groups), and put up with inscrutable chinglish. If you want a good manual, great customer support, and have the bucks, a Futaba 6EX is nice. But, if your budget is tighter than your time and energy, the HK 6 is also good. And gives you 6 fully proportional channels. And less fear of tearing up a $300-300 radio. And the RXs are $25 rather than $99. I bought multiples.

Cheers,