fast gun style big gun weapons

Discussion in 'Weapons & Pneumatics' started by daemond6, Nov 21, 2011.

1. daemond6

daemond6 Member

Ive been reading through a lot of weapon based threads, and that got me wondering:

Has anyone tried making a Fast-gun style cannon in 1/4" caliber for a (possibly) simpler Big gun weapon?

Dave.

2. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

I have heard rumors that it was tried, and proved to work, but was not as efficient as with the smaller calibers or required more maintenance. I only heard people talking about rumors they heard, so take it with a grain of salt.

One thing to keep in mind is that the "Indiana" cannons most big gun ships use have two, three, or four barrels (I've built one with 2 sets of three barrels and one with 2 sets of four barrels) and rotate very easily. Fast gun cannons do not rotate easily, and require a more complex system to fire multiple barrels at the same time. I know that big gun has been aware of the fast gun cannon technology, and have used them for the occasional .177 caliber cannon. They just never were used for anything more than that, probably because other cannon designs worked well enough.

3. daemond6

daemond6 Member

Ok, I was just wondering, because they look somewhat easier to make than the indiana cannons with the limited tools I have.

I might just end up seeing if i can scrape together enough money for a big gun cannon from strike and get it shipped here (UK) so i have a better idea on what i would need to reproduce.