Fiberglass Fletcher hull?

Discussion in 'Construction' started by hairy_apple, Jul 6, 2010.

1. hairy_apple

hairy_apple Member

Does anyone know if there is a figerglass Fletcher/Sumner hull out there? I have been trying to repair my USS Kidd and am finding that the wood is so old and dry it's just spliting apart faster then I can fix the cracks. The subdeck is a mess, the deck is warped... ect, ect. 13 years of abuse and neglect have taken it's toll and I am just thinking at this point I want to retire this ship and build a new Fletcher to replace it. I was hoping to find a fiberglass hull. If anyone knows of one please point me in the right direction. Thanks!

2. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Hi Ryan, not sure about Fletchers but I know for a fact that there are fiberglass Gearing hulls available, because several people in the WWCC have them. Windrider has a fiberglass Gearing that got sunk in the last battle, and George and Joe both have hulls. I'll send them an email and ask.
    BTW, how is HMS Dreadnought's hull holding up?

3. hairy_apple

hairy_apple Member

The Dreadnought had a lot of leaks, but I got them all sealed up now. Both ships had taken a pounding while I was battling them, and then sitting for 10 years didn't help them too much. The Dreadnought doesn't seem to be suffering the same cracks and warping the Kidd has. My main problem with all three ships is the guns, I have no idea how to put them back together. There is a huge pile of hoses and valves that I have no idea what to do with.. ha ha. I'm slowly sorting it out.

About the Gearing, I think they were only like 14 feet longer then a Fletcher, and the shape is about right, I wonder if you could modify the hull to work for a Fletcher. I'd like to have a Fletcher to battle again. I also have a few friends who are interested in getting into the hobby and had expressed interest in doing Fletchers as well. If you find out where they got them, please let me know. Thanks.

4. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

yes, the Gearing is a lengthened Fletcher. You could very probably cut out a chunk in the center somewhere and reattach the ends. As for me, I'd probably leave the hull alone, put a Fletcher superstructure on it and hope nobody measured it.

5. Bryan

Bryan Member

I am molding Gearing and Akizuki Destroyers, if your interested. Not a great first boat, but fun to run and in things like convoy battles you can keep coming in to re-arm which is nice (IRCWCC). Let me see if I can find some pic links for you.

http://ontarioattackforce.multiply.com/photos/album/38/Galloping_Gearing#photo=1
    http://ontarioattackforce.multiply.com/photos/album/38/Galloping_Gearing#photo=4

http://ontarioattackforce.multiply.com/photos/album/18/Items_By_Bryan#photo=7

hope that helps