Fiberglass

Discussion in 'Construction' started by tgalx3, Jul 1, 2013.

1. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

I dont really know much about fiberglass. Im a little overwhelmed with all the different fabrics and resigns and epoxys. Can somebody point me in the right direction. I am breaking the boat out of storage and have to do some repair work on it.

2. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

For fiberglass cloth, I used this: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Bondo-8-sq-ft-fiberglass-cloth/_/N-260o?itemIdentifier=167006_0_0_
    I know most people recommend West Systems Epoxy, but I used this: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/3M-1-qt-Bondo-fiberglass-resin/_/N-260o?itemIdentifier=167023_0_0_
    Just got to watch the fumes on that epoxy.

I got both of those at my local Auto Zone for under $30.00.
    Beaver

3. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

ooo! going to come play?

If you're not stressing about cost, buy the West Systems. It wont reek nauseatingly for months like the polyester resin likes to.

Cloth/mat - depends on what you're repairing. If its a big inside repair job or in an unseen area (like skegs), just grab the heavy stuff they sell at the hardware store.

4. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

Ya, Im going to try and come back. My boat is completely gutted and one side has no balsa wood on it. Its going to be a little bit.

Plus, the fiberglass is for things that I am tired of gluing down every year.

5. NickMyers

superglue aint so super sometimes..

6. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

indeed. My goal is to be ready by the next battle.

7. NickMyers

i need to shoot an email around about that. there was some discussion about folks only wanting to do one in july and not the 2 on the schedule, need to see what the whole story is for people...

8. KeriMorgret

KeriMorgret Facilitator RCWC Staff Vendor

I'm waiting to hear back from a former WWCC person who may be in Cle Elum on the 28th for another event and seeing if he'd be interested in watching a battle out there. With NABGO and NATS, we wouldn't be able to make the earlier event in July.