Finally signed up to say HI

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by darkapollo, Mar 26, 2008.

1. darkapollo

darkapollo Well-Known Member

Hello. Ive been lurking here for a few months following the USS Maryland build before attempting to start on my USS New Jersey. Im not new to model building, or ship building. However my RC ships have mostly been little scratch built tinker toys with a control for the rudder and 1 for speed.
    I got interested in this 'sport' or hobby about 4 years ago when doing some research on RC Cars. I came across a YouTube link of a battle and I was hooked (sorry for the fishy pun). Thinking about what ship I would like to build, doing research into the different systems, finding out how to do different things, etc, had taken the majority of a year. Two years ago I finally decided that I wanted to build the USS New Jersey. I have always loved the Iowa class, and being a transplant to PA from Jersey I wanted to pay homage to my 'home land'.
    I purchased the blue prints in Feb06 and the hull in May06. I had planned to have my father help me as a 'father son' bonding experience but shortly after we had stopped talking and the ship just sat, collecting dust. This past christmas we dusted the hull off set out to build her. We have most of the inner workings already planned out and I am hoping to have the ship completed by late spring/early summer.

Well there is my long-winded introduction.

so... HI!

2. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

Welcome, glad to have you aboard! Are you building Biggun or small?

3. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard

4. darkapollo

Shes 1/144 big gun :)

5. JustinScott

JustinScott Well-Known Member

Have you visited a Big Gun battle? Iowa is a good choice (I think) for a big gun ship. She doesn't have to be that manuverable; & she throws a lot of steel when she's mad.

Welcome!

6. darkapollo

Not yet. There are several in the local state area, but im having a hard time finding one that is REALLY active. Chesapeake Battle Group is the closest, but their yahoo calender is blank. There is a group about 30 min away but they are fast gun (i like the 'realism' of big gun).
    I am not above traveling a good distance to see a battle or to actually put my Jerz to the water..
    ---
    Justin, I wanted to talk to you about YOUR 'Ne-Jerz' (as said with a proper jersey accent).

7. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

[:)]Welcome aboard!

8. JustinScott

JustinScott Well-Known Member

I lived in jersey for several years, and the best I can typnounce it would be "nue joisey" :)

"Talk" as in phone, email, or thread? (PM me if not thread)

9. rowboat captain

rowboat captain Member

welcome aboard

10. darkapollo

Thanks all for the warm welcomes.
    Hope to gain a great deal of info from all of you!

Justin, I sent you an EMail.

11. DeletedUser

DeletedUser Guest