First battle and sink

Discussion in '1/96 Battlestations' started by rcengr, Sep 9, 2012.

1. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

Another milestone for Battlestations completed! Five ships participated in a battle, and while all systems were not 100%, all ships functioned and had working offensive and defensive systems. Each ship accomplished the following:
    - Was armed with at least one cannon
    - Pumped water
    - Moved in and out of port under their own power
    - Completed speed trials and achieved scale speed
    - Fired their cannons and hit at least one other ship

The ships from front to back: Stausbourg - Mikey, Mogador - Vance, Gustav V - Dustin, Henri IV - Mark, USS Saipan - Gerry.
    Not pictured is Phil's Tashkent, which was not in the battle but was on the water earlier and traded shots with the Gustav and Saipan in an impromptu free-for-all during sea trials.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

And now for the first sink! The fleets consisted of the Strausbourg, Mogador, and Henri IV against the USS Saipan and Gustav V. So French versus the world. Immediately after war was called, the fleets split into to two melees, with the Henri IV and Gustav V slugging it out, while the faster ships chased each other around the pond.
    [​IMG]
    The battle was going pretty well, when I noticed the the Henri's deck look a little low. Of course on the Henri IV the deck is so low normally, it is hard to tell when it is sinking. Seeing nothing coming out of the pump outlet, I decided to head for shore to check it out. As I started the turn the Henri started leaning and I got a very bad feeling.
    [​IMG]
    Captain, we may have a problem
    [​IMG]
    Everyone to the lifeboats... wait, where are the lifeboats?????
    [​IMG]
    Abandon ship! Every man for himself.
    [​IMG]
    Fortunately, both floats deployed and the ship was lifted out of the water without anyone getting wet. Notice how the opposing fleet is heading to the sink site to gloat.
    A pump malfunction is suspected to have contributed to the sink, since there was only four hits below the waterline. Of course, rumors about scuttling have already been heard...

3. Kun2112

Kun2112 Active Member

Of course, Mark didn't tell anybody he was building yet another secret Battlestations project this year.

Great job everybody, and a special thanks to Mark for CD'ing the Battlestations portion of the event.

4. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

Very cool, nice to see a Henri IV out on the pond :)

5. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Absolutely fabulous!! :)

6. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

It was great!
    With a lot of help from pretty much everyone else, we were able to get both of our boats into the afternoon battle.
    To be honest. I felt pretty sure that we were going to miss the battle again and have to just watch.
    It was great to be able to get both of our boats out on the water and into the battle, and have them shoot too.
    On the run just now. But I will post more tomorrow. But it was great!
    Mikey

7. absolutek

Makes me wish I had time to work on a 1/96 project for sure, maybe next year I will make time to come out to one of the Battlestations events you guys host.

8. Tugboat

After I finish my Fast Gun allied BB, my 1/96 USS Macon (Baltimore) is next.

9. absolutek

I guess you got one of Mark's laser cut kits? I have something in mind, but really, it requires me to stop acquiring 1/144 scale hulls for fastgun, and finish those that I have first (wifes orders) :)

Maybe by then Strike will be producing the cannons I'd need.

10. Tugboat

I'm under similar orders... no more new battleships! For now, anyway. I sold my Baden to make room (and $) for XXXXXXXX and it's a beauty! Will probably have its combat debut in the spring, or at a local over the winter. I'll post a build thread soon. Still converting the Edgar Quinet thread to my Model Warship University site (on google sites).

11. NASAAN101

NASAAN101 Well-Known Member

that was a great sink two!!!
    Nikki

12. dietzer

dietzer Admiral (Supporter)

No new battleships, huh? What about cruisers and destroyers? :D

Carl

13. Tugboat

Heh. Uh, my orders may have permitted a small, er... deviation on capital ship choice. And it's coming along nicely. A build log will be posted this weekend. I have to finish _a_ battleship, and my Gearing (USS Gyatt), and then I'm forbidden from starting new things. 1/96 Macon isn't new, I've already got the hull together and the wife knows about it. So it's not 'new' under our agreed-upon verbiage.

14. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

From what I recall of your shop, a mighty fleet could be completed with out any "new" construction.

15. Tugboat

Lol. Too true. But I am to battle one capital ship for the next 2 years. Minimum. A challenge from the wife, and also from some of my Region 3 friends :) A few guys challenged me to drive one boat for 5 years. I could if it were Lil Scharnie, but my great friend Pete Dimitri has been press-ganged (with love) into being Allied Admiral, and so I must be Allied for Nats next year. Which means running a ship that is Allied. Or at least, one that CAN BE Allied for Nats ;)

16. dietzer

dietzer Admiral (Supporter)

But what about your 1/96 Takao?

Carl

17. Kun2112

Kun2112 Active Member

I plan on having Phil's old Tashkent operational next year as a loaner, but I really want to focus on Battlestations for most of our local events next year. If you can make it, show up even if your ship isn't ready as we should have 2-3 ships extra. More if Matt pulls the New Jersey or Scharnhorst out of mothballs.