fixing cap rail on fiberglass hull

Discussion in 'Construction' started by Anvil_x, May 24, 2024.

1. Anvil_x

Anvil_x Well-Known Member

Hey Fellas,

So I've had a Derf hull from Strike sitting in storage for the past several years, and it's about time for the Iron Dog to get on the water.

Big problem though. I have far more experience in dealing with wood hulls and such, and I noticed that the cap rail on this fiberglass hull is high and uneven.

I've seen folks using painter's tape to even it out, but have no idea as to how that tape line is chosen. yes I have plans. am I really supposed to just take a stupid number of measurements from the hull and the plans and just wing it?

2. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

Pictures may help, I dont think I'm understanding the issue properly.

3. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

Are you saying the top edge of the hull wasn't cut accurately? If so I would plot about 4 or 5 points along the length of the hull and stretch your tape to hit those points. It'll be close enough and any variation can be sanded out once the subdeck is installed.

bsgkid117 likes this.
  4. Anvil_x

Thanks Caleb,

Yeah Will and I have been chatting offline about this as well, and he had a similar conclusion.

So I'm going to put some thought into this, and repurpose an old Build Board using y'all's input.

figure I can turn this into a decent How-To (or, How Not To, lol)

5. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

In the past I’ll place the hull on a known flat surface and weight it down so it doesn’t move/tilt, then use a square to mark height of the hull from plans in both sides. Once I tape it I look down the edge to make sure it’s straight. Close enough is usually good for our boats

6. Anvil_x

So I'm defintely going to use that technique Kevin, thanks.

for anybody who needs pictures to understand the problem, here they are. the blue tape is a shotgun lay of where the hull should be cut to, and I won't be using this taped line. but it is good to illustrate the issue:
    20240526_130443.jpg 20240526_130454.jpg 20240526_130512.jpg

Panzer likes this.