Flooded Radio Box, HELP!!

Discussion in 'Electrical & Radio' started by tgalx3, Jan 18, 2011.

1. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

I was at the lake today driving my Bismarck around. I made the wise decision to fill my boat up to test the pumps. My Bis had been sitting on the bench for quite awhile. Well I pushed the bow under to fill her up. I stopped and turned away to get something. When I turn back she was completely under. Right about this time I remember that my Radio Box was not completely sealed. So there was about 1/4" of water in the radio box. My receiver was about half underwater. By the time I got the water out and the radio box open I think the receiver might have been submerged fully.
    I raced home and dried it out in my dehydrator. I plugged the battery back in and I cant get a sold red light (normal operation) it only blinks red.
    I have a hobby kind HK-tr6a 2.4mhz receiver.
    Anybody know what is going on? I think I fryed the entire thing.

2. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

You may have, as water has some very interesting properties at microwave frequencies. Sorry to hear it.

3. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

check for corrosion on receiver. Dip in alcohol to displace water. Let dry (bone dry) try again.

4. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

I heard viniger helps too

5. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Is blinking red binding mode on the HKs? if it survives you should probably give some thought to giving it a bath in skotchkote

edit: In the future just keep it wet with the power off until you are able to give it a nice alcohol bath - reduces the accumulation of crud as the remaining water evaporates off and other corrosive fun.

6. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

I have had Hobby King 6ch receivers sunk several times, with no water protection. After drying out, all I needed to do was re-bind the receiver to the transmitter. Been a while since I used HK radios, though, so I don't remember what the blinking red light means.

7. NASAAN101

NASAAN101 Well-Known Member

Guys,
    how would vinegar help!!I'm just asking?
    Nikki

8. DarrenScott

DarrenScott -->> C T D <<--

Vinegar wont help!!!! It's actually very dilute hydrochloric acid!
    Keep it a LONG way away from your sensitive electronics.

9. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

1) Vinegar is a long running joke which solves all your boat problems, the original joke was that if you soak balsa in vinegar it softens it to provide a better hull but it's transformed into the fix all. Consider it a model warship combat meme if you will.

2) Vinegar is acetic acid not hydrochloric acid, BIG difference, but I still wouldn't throw it on electronics.

High percentage isoproply alcohol(70%+) is worth keeping with your boat stuff that you take to the lake for cases like this. If you rinse it with isoproply alcohol and then let it dry completely(bone dry) it might work, really depends whats in the lake water and how tolerant the parts are.

10. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

My radio box had a leak for the longest time and my components werent sealed. I always came back in with 1/4 to 1/2 of water in the box. I would drain the box after each sortie and then rinse it out with alchohol after each battle. At the end of the day I just poured alot alchohol in the box and let it dry overnight. I did eventually pour epoxy into the reciever case but I am still using the same electronics I started with (not counting rudder servos).

11. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

Vinegar does help balsa. I know two people that have tried it. Several more have asked about it and not done it. If you ever smell pickles when battling you'll know who they are.

12. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

My Futaba rcvr got wet and quit that day. Very sad :(

13. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Were you able to bring your RX back to life Alex?

14. treemagnet

treemagnet New Member

we used to spray wet radio gear with WD40 woked pretty well but has to be done soon after soaking