FNG from North of Atlanta, GA

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by MotoPhoto, Sep 27, 2008.

1. MotoPhoto

MotoPhoto Member

Hello!
    Well, I've lurked around here for a couple of weeks and nearly burned out the search engine so I guess I oughta introduce myself.

I ran across R/C battling while chasing a rabbit down a hole on the internet. A buddy stationed aboard the U.S.S. Dwight D. Eisenhower invited me up for a friends & family day cruise last month and I was so taken by the ship in general and men & women who serve aboard her that after returning home I decided I wanted to build a plastic model of the IKE. But, as soon as I found out I could actually build a boat that would shoot BB's I dropped those plans and started researching your hobby. I must admit I'm rather taken by the whole thing and have spent a bunch of time researching the sport.

After an offline exchange with Tugboat (thanks again!) I've decided the MWC fast gun club is probably the best bet for me as there are other boaters in my area. Hey, where's the fun if I don't have anyone to shoot at? [8D]

There's a battle down in Savannah, GA, next month and I should be riding down there to watch. I can't wait! I've gotten two other friends interested in R/C battling and hope they'll follow in my (soon-to-be wet) footprints so I'll have some targets in my own town to shoot up....I mean, friends to sail against.

The current plan is to build a Von Der Tann as my first boat but I'm holding off on purchasing the hull until I get to see a battle in person. No need to waste time and money on a build should I find out a mental defect prevents me for handling a rudder and throttle while shooting a cannon.

I noticed at least one experienced Captain plans to build a VDT this fall and there's another newbie like me planning a VDT build so I'm afraid I'll be bugging them for help and advice.

Many thanks to all the folks who put up with questions from FNG's like me! I'll try to do my homework before being too much of a pest.

2. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

Welcome to this crazy hobby! A VDT is a fine choice and it sounds like you are going about it the right way. Ask any questions, there are a lot of vdt's built and I'm sure someone has encountered the questions you may have.

3. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

Glad to have you aboard. You definetly sound like you know what your doing. Keep it up, and best of luck to you.

4. MotoPhoto

MotoPhoto Member

Thanks all!
    BoomerBoy17, aren't you the one planning a VDT build? If so, have you figured out gun placement? I plan on buying a ship kit from BC and am just starting to figure out what else I'll need to buy/build and other logistics.

5. BoomerBoy17

ive been thinking about it, but im stuck between it and the Cleveland class cruiser. But i wont start until winter, so i have plenty of time to figure it out. The VDT has 4 units:1 pump, 2 stern guns and a sidemount seem to be the best setup. you could do 1 stern, and 2 sidemounts, one bow one stern too

6. TheMackster

TheMackster Member

Yay! More skippers, even if they aren't anywhere near me.

I'm just getting started too and haven't even cut out the hull windows on my new cruiser yet.

And I already grabbed a 2nd ship to work on as I just couldn't pass up the HMS Dreadnaught.

Welcome aboard!

7. BoomerBoy17

mackster, dont worry about it. i dont even have a ship yet!

8. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Bring a camera so you can look at all the boats and get some ideas for your own ship! We have some very cool guys in our area, and they (we) all love to share the hobby :)

If you have a comfy set of safety glasses, bring 'em, we do have a big box of loaners, they're not as comfy as some.

9. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

Might as well get a pair you like cause you will want to have them all the time. I like a pair that doesn't fall off when you look down. You will always be looking into your boat.

[?][?][?][?][?][?][?][?][?][?][?][:0]

10. MotoPhoto

MotoPhoto Member

Thanks, Tugboat!

Unless the weather is horrible and cold then I'll be riding my bike to Savannah. My prescription riding glasses are ANSI rated so they should do double duty as scripts and comfy safety glasses.

I'm in the midst of signing up for the SAS email list so I'll confirm my plans as the date draws closer...and I can't wait. I NEED to get out of town!

11. MotoPhoto

MotoPhoto Member

"Might as well get a pair..."

Ha!

Took me a second to put that in context.

12. BoomerBoy17

dont worry about it moto, we have some odd cats here, but rarena is a good guy.

13. warspiteIRC

warspiteIRC RIP

Contact the MWC, they have a fleet in the area and will be happy to help you build

14. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

Ok I missed that one.... maybe I'm funnier than I think?

naa, don't explain, if I didn't get it, it won't be funny anymore.[V]\

your glasses would be fine.

15. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Jess, as long as your riding glasses have safety shields on the sides, they're probably okay. If they don't have sides, we'll have to get you some ugly safety glasses :)

16. BoomerBoy17

its alright rob, its just your overuse of smiley faces that drove us to that conclusion. Dont worry about it. and if i come, ill have my own pair, hopefully.

17. MotoPhoto

MotoPhoto Member

"as long as your riding glasses have safety shields on the sides, they're probably okay."

Aw, heck, why don't I just grow a pair and buy some dedicated glasses.

Ha!

Hmm, side shields are a good point. They are a wrap around style BUT I've never really evaluated them from the perspective of a BB coming at my eye.

And that brings up my greatest concern with this new found hobby. As a child momma always warned me I'd put my eye out with a BB gun and I just don't want to prove the ol' gal right as I'd never hear the end of it. [:eek:)]

18. BoomerBoy17

Doesnt happen.........often. No, the basis for this entire hobby is safety, so you really shouldnt worry about it, as long as your careful and you follow all of the rules

19. MotoPhoto

MotoPhoto Member

Doesnt happen.........often.

Good thing I've got a back up eye.

(That's a joke, buddy)

20. Gettysburg114th

Gettysburg114th Well-Known Member