French Cruisers

Discussion in 'Ship Plans' started by phill, Feb 4, 2009.

1. phill

phill Active Member

A good day for mail...
    Profile Morskie #52 covering the Algerie. Excellent pictures and great line drawings except for the Loire 130 which is a reprint from the #19 issue on the George Leygues and Marseilles. Even so, it isn't right. It is very clearly marked 44HS which was the marking of one of the Loire 130's off of the sister ship Gloire. The drawing is labeled 1939 which is unlikely. Dated drawings prior to 1940 show no visible markings on the tails of the aircraft. Starting in 1940, the verticle stripes of neutrality and the squadron designations show up.
    Also in the mail, after four days in transit from St Cannett on France's southern shore to Olympia, WA. "Les Croiseurs de 7600 tonnes" par Jean Moulin. Cette ouvre... Oops, This is an excellent book on the French light cruisers of the La Galissionniere class. It includes a very good section on the seaplanes that served aboard these cruisers early in their history. This is another classic on the French navy by MARINES editions. I have some of their other books including the book on the Richelieu. Expensive but worth it!

2. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

I have some of the Marines editions as well.
    8,000 ton cruisers Duguay-Trouin class. Neat light cruisers.

Bearn, and Commandant Teste.
    Bearn is a great convoy ship in pretty much any format, and also a fun warship in Treaty, big-gun, and Battestations.
    The Teste would be interesting as well, as she was rather heavily armed. I plan to build her some day.

Dunkerque/Strasbourg, and Richelieu/Jean Bart
    Very nice ships in pretty much all formats. Exceptional ships in big-gun, Treaty, and Battlestations.

Merchant marine 1939/1940
    I have to admit that I haven't built any ships using this book yet, but it is pretty cool, and has lots of pictures.
    I have never found a need to build a French merchant ship, as the Bearn fitted all my needs.

I used to have several more of these fine books, but sold some of them to some French dog out west. Haha.
    But if you are into the French ships, they are full of information. I still can't read them (as they are in French), but they are some of my favorite books.
    Mikey

3. phill

phill Active Member

One of the byproducts of an odd upbringing is that I can read French though the technical terms are slow going at times. I'm game to supply translations if there is a need.

4. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

Hey phill, did you ever start modeling up the parts you messenged me about?

5. phill

phill Active Member

No. I'm stuck on the software end right now. Instead of trying to sort that out. I decided to get the club stuff back on line and that has been a bust. I think I need to configure Fedora to understand that it is behind a proxy. It pulls down a list of packages for me to choose what to install then has the gall to tell me that I am not on line!

6. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

good luck :) for software, check out alibre...

-Greg

7. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

Thanks for offering to translate. I have over the years been able to piece enough together to make heads or tails out of it.
    I would be very interested in trying to be a part of making parts for the French stuff.
    Mikey