French Heavy Cruiser Suffren

Discussion in 'Ship Comparison' started by BoomerBoy17, Sep 28, 2008.

1. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

I have been formulating a plan to build a Suffren for use in the IRCWCC. Now, while most people are going to say that i should do nothing under 4 units, they are thinking about new members who have more time and money to put towards a ship then i do. Now, i figured out that a cruiser will be simple, interesting, (and using parts from BC) easy to build. Now i have formulated a plan based on the BEARN build by Mike5443 and i want you guys to tell me what you think.

Materials- USB flash drive
    -tracing paper
    -pencil
    -plywood(anyone know what kind Home Depot has that is good for this application?)
    -plans provided on this site
    -Epoxy or CA glue(anyone want to tell me which is better for the frames-build?)
    -balsa (for the bottom, any idea what thickness? is it available at Home Depot?)
    -sandpaper(i have plenty of that)
    -various tools(ive got that covered too)

Plan-1)using a USB flash drive, i plan to bring the 144tiff plans from this site to a local Fedex Kinkoes and have them printed off for my use
    2)Using tracing paper, i will make the rib templates(i have a big question here: Will someone look at the plans for me and tell me if i need to use all of those ribs for 1/4 ribs, and what spacing it will be?) and cut them out. also, the subdeck and keel.
    3)Epoxy or glue the ribs onto a notched subdeck, and then notch the ribs to fit the keel.
    4)Fit the Balsa slabs in between the ribs and sand to perfection(hopefully)
    5)And make a large chuck to make the bow and stern.

So thats what ive got so far, and and all help will be nice. Also, Mike, if your reading this, can you tell me the ribs a Suffren gets in 1/4 ribs and spacing, using your calculator. Thanks all for reading this, it helps alot.

2. warspiteIRC

warspiteIRC RIP

In the IRCWCC, the size and placement of the ribs is up to the builder as long as 85 percent of the hull is penatrable (sp?).
    There are some rib calculators out there on the web. But to do it by hand:
    1) Multiply the ships length by .15
    2) Subtract 3 inches from the result above. (2 inches in the bow and 1" in stern are all solid.)
    3) Divide the remainder by the width of your ribs. (Note: the ribs do not all have to be the same size but all must be under 3/8") So. you can have 1/4" or 3/8" ribs where the sheets of the skin come together to help the overlap, and 1/4" or 1/8 ribs elsewhere in the boat.
    4) Note that no ribs can be closer together than 1"

Hope this helps!

Marty Hayes

http://www.ircwcc.org/Rules/part2.htm

3. warspiteIRC

warspiteIRC RIP

Also the copies of the ribs (multiple) from Office Depot can be cut out and used as the templates rather than tracing them.

I cut out the bottom of the ribs to fit not the keel but the balsa blocks that form the water channel then stack the ribs over that and up through slots in the subdeck to build the frame, that way the water channel is already part of the build.

Marty

4. BoomerBoy17

Thanks Marty. I was looking to make it simple by using one size of ribs (1/4 inch), so i will try that(and get back to you on it). Also, i think im going to stick with Mike's version, it seems easier for me. But being a big part of the IRCWCC, what do you think of my building a cruiser, and the reasoning behind it?

**the plans dont have ribs on them, so i would have to trace them out ***

5. BoomerBoy17

ok, it shows 20 ribs, which when i calculated it, is the number of 1/4 inch ribs, plus about.12 inch left(which to simplify things, i may just leave alone. ok, well thats solved. the spacing will be about 2.17 inches spacing

6. Gettysburg114th

Gettysburg114th Well-Known Member

Heu Boomer,
    Send me the ribs and I can copy them at work for $0.00.
    I used luan plywood from hardware stores years ago on the Myoko and California. The wood is cheap but, if it is sealed correctly it will last for years. The California was built around 1985 and someone was running the ship in the late 90's. I have no clue as to where the ship is now. I still have the Myoko hull. I have in recent years switched to using aircraft plywood because of it's added strength. The KEY is to seal it real good. I just picked up 1 gallon of Glass Resin from the Home Depot for $35.00. The West System epoxy is good but it is just too expensive.

7. BoomerBoy17

Getty, the ribs are on the plans. And by copy them, and send them back, you mean that you would make them printable on my 8X11 printer? that would be awesome, but i would still need to print off the plans. But if you could send me the templates(Microsoft Word, and like Mike5443's ribs, at 1/2 inch thick) through an email? also, glass resin seals it? ok, do i seal it before or after i attach the ribs?

8. warspiteIRC

warspiteIRC RIP

Bob;
    Your California resides in my garage at the moment (I think). Steve used it early in his battling and my grandson (I think). It is waiting for another rookie to rebuild it.

Marty

9. BoomerBoy17

Im wondering guys, if it would be easier to do the Cleveland from BC, and then build my own hull when i have more experience?

10. Gettysburg114th

Gettysburg114th Well-Known Member

Boomer,
    I would use a glass hull over a wood hull. You have more room in the hull and in a couple of weekends you are way ahead.
    Marty, When I built that ship on my porch in N.J. I would have never guessed it would still be around in 2008. :) I love that ship.

11. BoomerBoy17

im thinking about it, the only downside is i have to wait longer. [V]

12. the frog

the frog Member

Get the suffren from BC and do it the easy way

13. BoomerBoy17

Yea, thats another option, but ive heard alot about it having too much volume, so i emailed rick at BC and ill see what he says