From across the pond.....

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by johnny6string, Jun 4, 2008.

1. johnny6string

johnny6string New Member

Hi all! Just wanted to post a hello.
    I'm in the UK and have just become aware of Rc naval combat about a week ago!
    Seems you guys have a handle on it so i though it join up and try to learn what i can.
    Im not sure how much of this is going on in the UK but heres hoping something!

Cheers guys, hope you dont mind the limeys hoping on board. John.

2. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard!

3. JustinScott

JustinScott Well-Known Member

welcome!

4. Mike Horne

Mike Horne Active Member

Hey!

You are in luck. There is a guy working on starting up in the UK posting on MABG forums. I think you are different fellows, you should team up :)

Mike

5. johnny6string

johnny6string New Member

Thats great, i thought there must be a few ppl at least in the Uk that would be up for this.
    Good stuff!

6. Mike Horne

Mike Horne Active Member

He sent me a link...

I have got a website up for the UK but nothing really there, but if you guys get anyone from the UK interested, send them here:
    http://ukmw.altimit.co.uk/

7. johnny6string

johnny6string New Member

Thanks mike, ill drop him a line.

8. DarrenScott

DarrenScott -->> C T D <<--

Welcome to the hobby!

9. ProfessorChaos

ProfessorChaos Active Member

I believe the lack of activity in the UK comes down to the restrictive laws on firearms.

10. johnny6string

johnny6string New Member

Hey Yamatoman, that could be a factor I supose, but at the moment BB guns and air rifles are not illegal to own as long as they don't exceed 12ft pounds.

The main problem I can see though is its ilegal to fire a BB gun of any kind in a public place....

That gonna make it tricky to have battles anywhere but privatly owned pools an such.[:(]

Th gun laws in this country only effect the law abiding gun owners, criminals don't care. It sucks.

11. DeletedUser

DeletedUser Guest

welcome heres a tip dont type your self out

12. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

I'd imagine the laws are similar to what the guys down under have to deal with. It might be worth checking with them to see what hoops of fire they had to jump through to get exceptions so they could battle.

13. johnny6string

johnny6string New Member

"dont type your self out"

To which I can only reply, Huh?

14. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

Take was a little crazy with posting when he first joined, we think he was trying to make Admiral in a week, lol, 1000+ posts. So he was just giving you a warning is all, because we finally had to ask him to slow down a bit. But we all get excited when we first find the site, but not to worry, so far you have not been post happy.

15. johnny6string

johnny6string New Member

Aha, I see.

I guess I have been posting quite a bit, I'm going to loose the internet for a while when I move onto my boat.
    So I'm just trying to learn as much as possible before that.

16. crzyhawk

Naw you haven't been posting a lot. You've put out like 16 posts in 2 days, Take was pumping out 16 posts an hour all with the same message: "Sell me a ship". Do you know what format (big gun or small) your new UK club will be going?

17. johnny6string

johnny6string New Member

Hey crzyhawk.
    On the subject of what format..
    Well the other guy in the UK (who has got the UK naval forum up and running )
    Is going the big gun route, i think i would prefer big gun but if it meant being able to get involved i'd do either.
    The main problem is he's a few hundred miles from me and I dont drive...

My main plan is to build the Maru. I need to learn loads of the basic skills and i figure this will be a good starting point.
    Plus i'll be using basic hand tools and maybe a dremel, no room for power tools...a battleship at this point is just too ambitious.

Oh well.

18. crzyhawk

Honestly, I wouldn't start with a convoy ship for any format. What sets apart our hobby from other RC hobbies is the combat. An unarmed liberty ship is just another scale model, but one that can be sunk easily. A warship on the other hand is interesting to people, and will get their attention. That's especially important since you're effectively a club of one person at the moment. You have to have something interesting to recruit people with.

That being said, I'd agree that a battleship is too ambitious for a new guy who has no veterans around to draw experience on. What I'd be looking at is a cruiser of some variety (my recommendation would be a British County class ship). You can work on building it up to the same point as a trasnport (it will still run around on the pond without guns, just like the transport will), but when you are ready for guns, you don't need to start a fresh ship...you have one that is ready to be armed.

What's nice about the cruiser is you can do it in stages. Since you are interested in Big gun, you can arm your cruiser with Torpedos (unless you pick an American cruiser...but considering your location a solid Brit cruiser will be better for recruiting I'd imagine) which I would imagine are simpler (and cheaper)then cannon systems. The County has a lot of room for growth and should be a very forgiving build for a beginner. It's got lots of space inside which makes it easier to fit everything in. Once you've mastered torpedoes, you can start fiddling with cannon systems.

So, I guess the bottom line is, I'd recommend starting off with something that can BECOME a warship. Nothing says you can't do anything with it until you add guns. That can be the last step if you wish. Up to the point you put the guns in it, there's no difference between a cruiser and a transport, so you'd have the benefit of not having to repeat the work building a warship AFTER you build the transport. Just my thoughts...

19. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

There are the pattern sets for the Emile Bertin. They don't have to be laser cut, you could simply cut them with a saw. That ship was selected because it is a very fine light cruiser in both formats. She's very fast, about 40 knots as I recall, and has a good torpedo armament with two triple mounts.

In Big Gun, the County class is the same speed as fast battleships, at 31.5-32knots, so it won't be as easy to attack them or escape from them. On the other hand, it has a good torpedo armament, with up to two quad mounts, one per side. I think in combat it will handle similar to a model of the Atlanta in my club: it's got a good kick, but it won't be as easy to get in and get out like faster cruisers will do. It's not my preferred ship, but if you like it it'll perform OK.

20. crzyhawk

He's got no battleships to fight against presently, so it's not a problem while he learns.