Fun way to get metal superstructure

Discussion in 'Construction' started by GregMcFadden, Jan 27, 2007.

1. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

Well, unfortunately I did not take a picture, but similar to how one can panel an r/c aircraft with the aluminum foil tape to get the paneled metal look, you can do the same thing to molded foam parts for the boats. If done right it looks good but does not withstand BB's well (no penetration but it looks like a mini meteor impact crater)

anyways, random aside over, no metal sheeting for my superstructure.

-Greg

2. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

I have in the past built light superstructures out of 1/8" balsa, then laminated it with .040 styrene sheet. That takes hits pretty well. On sluggers, I build the first level out of 1/4" plywood and use styrene sheet. I guess you could now add Termite Armor in place of the styrene, as it doesn't lose details when shot (at least not till shot a LOT)

3. JustinScott

JustinScott Well-Known Member

The other option is use painted styrofoam (cheap, easy to mold) & let it get shot to hell. Next season it won't be too costly or to difficult to make another.

4. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

Yep. I am molding my own superstructure out of foam (see the tirpitz picture thread). It takes BB's quite well (which is what I have available to test with)

5. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

I used foam for Luigi Cadorna's superstructure. Ultimately I hope to switch to 1/8" balsa or ply with thin lexan sheet on top. This is what Ben uses on his British boats, and they have plenty of detail and can stand up to even the strongest guns.

6. Craig

Craig Active Member

I'm building the SS for Bismarck out of sintra and styrene. I am using CA in spots, will reineforce others with resin and cover the first four levels with handy-dandy termite armor. I would of course prefer to have the shape already prepared it would make things easier. It is progressing slowly, I will post some pics when I have a chance.

7. Ebaneser

Ebaneser New Member

for the boat I'm making a superstructure out of elmers foam board adding bamboo skewer supports and aluminum from tin cans on the outside. It hasn't been tested but it seems like it would be strong.

8. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

aluminum will dent. Use soda pop bottle material if on a budget. Cut it into strips, but drink the contents first