G'day From Downunder

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by DarrenScott, Feb 19, 2007.

1. DarrenScott

DarrenScott -->> C T D <<--

My name is Darren, I'm from New South Wales, Australia, and I currently campiagn three ships with varying degrees of success.
    My first introduction to the hobby/sport was at a model show I attended here in my hometown, Newcastle.
    The Newcastle Battle Squadron had a display of warships, a video playing and a "gun-in-a-box" The ships looked a little rough, and I had no idea what the funny plastic and steel thing in the perspex box was, then the TV image of a ship going down by the stern caught my eye.... HOOKED!
    I spent the next ten minutes fratically searching for my brother, who was actually looking for me, for the same reason. He was hooked too.
    Within three weeks, we had purchased two fibreglass liberty hulls, fitted them out and put them on the water. They are named "James B Beam" and "Henry Ford", and have been sunk so many times we've lost count.
    I have since progressed to be the 4th or 5th (no-one knows for sure) owner of the HMS Rodney, a veteran AUSBG warship, and custodian/skipper of HMRT "Defiance", the club's Envoy class tug.
    My brother, Tony, built the potent North Carolina to complement his liberty and T2a tanker "Scott's Bluff". He also now has a Richelieu class on the slips.
    My father, Ron, showed an interest, starting out with a T2a, the "Mobilube", and now has a nasty little 40 knot Italian Attilio Regolo class cruiser which he has named "Prestissimo", fitted to lay mines.
    The other ships in our local club include:

RM LITTORIO
    DKM SCHARNHORST
    IJN YAMATO
    HMCS WETASKIWIN
    DKM BISMARK
    RM ATTILIO REGOLO
    USSR VOROSHILOV
    RMS LUSITANIA
    SS JERVIS BAY
    SS MARGARET ANNE

as well as others whose names escape me at the moment, and the towed target ships NOTTSINKINN AND NOTTSINKINN II.

2. JustinScott

JustinScott Well-Known Member

Welcome!

Your story is interesting to hear.. I was thinking about creating a "gun in a box" sometime in the near future to take to shows... But if its confusing, maybe its not worth the effort? Hmmm...

how are the NotSinkinn set up not to sink? We have a similar ship, but I'm curious how yours was done.

3. JohnmCA72

JohnmCA72 Member

That idea's been on my 'To Do' list for a long time, too. I'd do it up like a game, & allow visitors to take shots. Among the associated ideas:

- Include the ability to insert a strip of balsa as a target that can be removed & shown/given to the shooter to show the damage.
    - Build as part of a see-through/cutaway warship hull, to show how the gun relates to the ship.
    - Allow traverse & elevation control for aiming (only within the box, of course).

JM

4. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

I have done something like a gun in the box at shows. I built a platform out of 1/4 in plywood and made 2 platforms each with a barbette hole and barbetted installed. I put in 2 cannons 1 straight mag and 1 coil to show the different cannon styles and I covered the barbettes with turrets. The pneumatics and hoses were set up out in the open on the base of the platform to show how all of the plumbing is connected.I had a servo installed and the receivor and receivor battery. The platform was placed a few feet away from a large box that was open with a drop sheet inside the box and around the sides inside and outside of the box. There was a long drop tray to catch the bbs from the drop sheet and roll into the tray. I had a rod inserted crossways about midway inside the box with a roll of paper that could be unspooled through the bottom of the box keeping the paper taught and I could spool out fresh sheets. When spectators came by I gave them the radio and allowed them to fire the guns independently and shoot the paper. It was a great hit and enjoyed by the young very much as the adults where skittish at trying it out.

5. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

HI, Darren! Welcome to the forum. Seems like you like them transports. If so then you may be interested in my "little" project:
    http://www.rcnavalcombat.com/rcnavalcombat/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=203
    I won't be making any more progress (asides from gathering more parts) until the weather warms up, the current school quarter ends, and I can lift a fiberglass hull from the plastic one. What are you current projects? Or are they classified?

6. DarrenScott

The "gun in a box" used by my club is simply an unused 3/16 triple indiana style gun, fixed thru a shelf inside a polycarb fronted 3/8 plywood box. The two outer barrels have been disabled, and the accumulator reduced in capacity to limit power and gas usage.
    The gun has a fake warship bow fitted around it, and the shelf has been painted to resemble the surface of the ocean. An oscillating drive arm recovered from a dead heater swings an arm back and forwards over an ammo recovery box. The arm can be fitted with various targets, including at one stage, a small plastic Thomas the tank engine. Due mainly to insurance concerns, the whole thing is fully enclosed and opening the box vents the accumulator, disabling the gun. I'll post photos when I get some.
    As for the "Nottsinkinn", well, the whole thing is a handcarved polystyrene block, covered with waterproof tape and painted. it has a fin added to the keel to add some directional stability when towed, and the upperworks are an aluminum profile (it clanks when hit). It's usually towed behind my fathers tanker, which is fitted with an extended tow boom. Split shot are fitted to the line to to prevent the tow line fouling the prop. They make the target steer an unpredictable course too.
    As for my current projects, well, there are a few. A simple one-shot torp gun which I call the KISS-CANNON is currently undergoing testing, and there is a hull on the slips.

7. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Hmmm.... KISS cannon... pull up alongside some poor ship, and oh-so-gently give her a little KISS OF DEATH :D Is the design classified or can you provide details?

8. DarrenScott

I can send you photos of the gun, but would like the design to remain classified at the moment, as it is still awaiting certification. BTW, KISS stands for Keep It Simple, Stupid.....

9. Craig

Craig Active Member

Darn.... I thought it meant that it played Detroit Rock City as you smashed the balsa of your opponent!