General Questions

Discussion in '1/96 Battlestations' started by BoomerBoy17, Apr 12, 2009.

1. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

Guys, i understand that there are a widely spread group of guys in this exact part of the hobby.
    First off, i'd like to now where theyre located, as ive heard there are some in the Northeast, and would like to join them eventually (in CT, college soon, likely in MA).
    Also, i'd like to know about the feasability of creating a Yahoo forum or revamping the old Battlestations! site to suite the needs of the community, as in talking about:rules, events, building techniques, advice, ect...
    Lastly, i'd just like to say that i hope to be able to make a 1/96th ship soon, maybe a Bolzano.
    Thanks

2. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

Indeed, we were kicking for a while then life interfered.

3. dietzer

dietzer Admiral (Supporter)

Welcome to Battlestations!
    We are rather spread out right now. Mikey's in Ohio, I'm in Texas, Tugboat's in GA, and I forget where Mark and the others hail from off the top of my head. I'm afraid my memory ain't what it used to be...:D
    Mikey is the furthest along, he's been on the water in 1/96 and I think his boat is ready for combat. The rest of us are playing catch-up to him.
    I think once we get some more boats built this branch of the hobby will start picking up steam!
    As far as the Battlestations! website, Tugboat has talked with Joe Kutz (the site owner) about revamping the site, and Joe has given Tugboat free reign to do so. I think Tug would have it done already, but life keeps intervening, just like with the rest of us!
    Carl

4. Mark

Mark Active Member

there are 4 of us (5, including Matts' son) in MA. I've got Yamato on the water just needs the final fitting out, the other two BB are Allied and both have been laid down, there are 2 armed convoy (also allied) I sent Tug the I-400 plug so he can start making hulls and have my Shimakaze 50% done with a plug in the works that will also be shipped to Tug. the next two months will be slow going for me, I'm moving to eastern Mass (15min outside providence RI) but after the move I'll be back in full force.

5. BoomerBoy17

Yea, there seemed to be alot of interest on the site, but it kinda died out.

Thanks Carl, i'd love to see that site back up and at 'em, with a forum (like this one, migrated to that site maybe???).

So Mark, need an axis buddy? When are the other ships slated for commision? If you guys have an battles, please inform me, as i am closer to you guys then i am to my fast gun battles.
    Thanks.

6. BoomerBoy17

Also, i'd like to know a couple more things that werent addressed in the rules.
    1) What, if any armament do aircraft carriers get?
    2) What is the campaign situation, as in are there any ideas or no?
    3) Can convoy vessels be armed and have pumps?
    4) Are the convoy speeds scale too?

Thanks.

7. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

I've gotten as far as the authorized phase of building my Jean Bart and have even acquired the materials. The hold up is time and other projects that need to get done first. I'm hoping the hull will get layed down sometime June or July with a launch date sometime late 2009. The plan is to have her commisioned in early 2010 in time for the spring and summer battles.

8. BoomerBoy17

I hope we can get some going, I'd love to visit one, maybe even take the helm for a sortie.
    I'd like to do an DKM Admiral Scheer, i think she'd (he'd?) be pretty awesome in the post refit state with an Atlantic bow and the smaller SS.

I think a Jean Bart would be awesome, with all of the 2ndaries done. You definately need to do a good build thread on that one (like Bearn), so we can see your progress.
    Thanks.

9. dietzer

dietzer Admiral (Supporter)

Well, I'll try to answer these! Guys, correct me if I'm wrong on something. I'm going by memory, I haven't taken time to look up the rules lately...
    1) They can arm any guns the actual ship had, plus can shoot scale planes as a weapon. There was talk of arming carrier's with extra 1/4" cannons to simulate planes, but I don't remember if we ever finalized any rules for this.
    2) Haven't given a lot of thought to campaign situations yet.
    3) Convoy vessels can be armed if the actual ship was armed. Liberty ships were armed, so were German commerce raiders that could pose as a convoy vessel. Britain also had the Q ships which were armed. As far as I know, they can have pumps matching their displacement like any other ship.
    4) All ships go at scale speeds, although we were trying to implement a minimum speed to keep things interesting.

Carl

10. Mark

Mark Active Member

carriers I think were to be armed like the ones in MWC, 2 wieght classes. one class can have 3 barrles (1/4") per quadrant and the other can have 4 barrles per quadrant. these represent the planes only, any other weapons the ships carried that were over 3" in diam can be armed just like any other ship. note that the guns representing the planes are fixed.

11. BoomerBoy17

Alright, that mostly answered my questions, thanks guys.
    Again, keep me informed of battles or even a powered run on a local lake, I'd love to come by and see it.
    Thanks.

12. t_josef

t_josef Member

Mark,
    Where are you moving to in MA ? ~ I'm about 15 minutes north of providence. (Norton, MA)

Tom

13. BoomerBoy17

Are you interested too? Or just curious

14. Mark

Mark Active Member

Swansea, its near fallriver

15. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Mark, that's "WWCC", not "MWC". The WWCC is the club that divides carriers into two weight classes (above and below 20K tons), and allocates three or four guns to each quadrant of fire. I don't know what MWC does, but I would be very surprised if they liked the idea of carriers running around with that many guns.

16. Mark

Mark Active Member

sorry for the mix-up, and thanx for the weight class division (I couldn't remember the #)

17. Gardengnome

Gardengnome Member

MWC they are basically convoy ships (ie. not armed). Figured I may as well mention it here. After doing a couple MWC ships I will try my hand at making the USS Detroit CL-8 (basically the USS Omaha). At 35 knots, 3inch armor belt, and 10 6in guns and 2 3 tube torpedo launchers it would give alot of options. There are just more MWC guys than big gun guys in my area but there are a couple of ya guys down in Ohio I think. I figure get active with the closest active format then spread out. So that shouldn't be to far for me in Michigan.
    You WWCC guys have a real neat thing going on there over sorta jealous =D

18. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

I think the Detroit class would be a great ship in Battlestations. I though about building one myself, but decided to stick with the French navy.
    I do plan on having at least one Battlestations event here in Ohio (Dayton) this season, but it will probably be at least August, or September.
    Mikey

19. BoomerBoy17

I hope there is one, I'd love to go.