Gold coast, Australia

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Gunboat Diplomat, Jan 12, 2020.

1. Gunboat Diplomat

Gunboat Diplomat New Member

Hi,
    I'm looking at getting into this particular hobby, now that I have the money and time for more than just watching youtube compilations of ships sinking. I have managed to build a moving destroyer hull, although I don't yet have any armaments in place.
    The ship is awaiting a few more bits and pieces arriving in the post before it's able to be remote controlled, but once those arrive I will enjoy terrorizing the ducks down by the river, with a slightly reduced risk of death by underwater foliage.
    Any recommendations for big gun destroyer armament?

2. Nibbles1

Nibbles1 Well-Known Member

Torpedo guns. What kind of destroyer is this? However, destroyers being the small unstable platforms they are can't be fully armed with normal guns. I think according to most big gun rulesets you can only have 3 facing each direction. If you have a 3d printer you can make 3d printed torpedo guns. The file is on this site. Also another thing to consider is the rules for your nearby club. I think all big gun clubs make match scale speed but I'm not sure about Australia.

EDIT: WWCC is the only club that regulates torp armament but allows reloading torps

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
  3. Gunboat Diplomat

ausbg does have a speed table in their rules somewhere, although for the moment I have been more focused on the boat just being able to move than on accurate speeds. It's (roughly) a model of royal navy G-Class destroyers, which had 2x quad launchers. From what I've seen of the regulations, I would probably be limited to 2 or 3 tubes max per launcher on space alone.

Selley likes this.
  4. Nibbles1

For Western in California it is 3 tubes facing each side. If you go to the resources section, then to how to guides, you will see the 3D printed torpedo gun resource. I don't know how to make them without printing, you should ask Z Boat or BigGunJeff. They are both prominent big gunners here in CA.

5. Julian Barbera

Julian Barbera Active Member

Get in contact with your local group, even if there not so local. They will be able to get your ship in order, guns and all.

6. Gunboat Diplomat

I'm planning on attending the next meet in a fortnight, and honestly am only expecting to have movement sorted by then. Anything else will be a bonus.

Julian Barbera likes this.
  7. Selley

Selley Active Member

Which state are you in Australia, me and indie2002uk are in W.A

8. Selley

Selley Active Member

Im still trying to understand the rules

9. Selley

Selley Active Member

##### just saw the title your in Brisbane

10. Nibbles1

What?
    I've said this soooo many times, go to battle first. It will help you understand your ship and the rules surrounding it.

rcaircraftnut likes this.
  11. Julian Barbera

Julian Barbera Active Member

He lives in Brisbane

12. Gunboat Diplomat

So after attending the AusBG meet this past weekend, I've replaced my destroyer's motors with higher rated motors (so they don't melt this time), and will probably just leave it without weapons and chase ducks in the backyard instead of trying to arm it. I've been looking at some cruisers instead, and have had a friend express interest in building one (he seems to have decided on an admiral hipper). I was thinking more on the US line, an alaska for a more typical 3x3 A-B-Y, or worcester if I'm feeling really adventurous and can somehow work out a way to fit literally anything else in there with the 6x2 turrets.

13. Nibbles1

Alaska is okay (ACTUALLY GOOD, if you can find resources) ... Worcester isn't very popular being a light cruiser with no torpedos... I wouldn't do that. Hipper also isn't popular being a heavy cruiser, aka small platform with guns and not enough room to go around... that can lead to stability problems (Hipper is a nice ship though) (HIPPER WOULD WORK!!!). I recommend for big gun US an Atlanta being a cruiser with Torpedoes, fast and small, and bigger than a DD. For Germany... maybe you could do a Z boat?? I've seen a Spahkreuzer but not much else. (K CLASS) Maybe a Italian cruiser like Captaini Romani or a Condottieri class? Maybe a IJN Light cruiser, those always have torpedos. I would do a torpedo ship as a first ship. They are much more accurate that battleships but still are cheaper.

PS: This is my opinion only! Do what you think is best for you.
    Edit: oh your friend can consider a Koinsberg

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
  14. Gunboat Diplomat

Worcester mostly looks fun for that sweet sweet 3 ball bearings per second, even if they are 3/16". It would depend entirely on finding or making 2-gun turrets that would all fit in the boat. Admittedly, probably a terrible plan (which is why I was considering Alaska more seriously) I did suggest Graf spee / scharnhorst instead, but he seems sold on the hipper already.

15. Nibbles1

Wait.... In AUSBG you fire every a second? WWCC it is every 2 seconds. I'm pretty sure Worcester only gets normal bbs. Also that is a lot of gun in very little room keep that in mind. But if you want to, go for it! Graf Spee an Scharnhorst are both great ships, I have seen both in action (We also have 4 pocket battleships at the WWCC!) but keep in mind Scharnhorst may get a bit expensive. Do what you think is best for you and your friend.

16. Gunboat Diplomat

Ausbg has firing restrictions per barrel - Worcester would use 3/16", the smallest size, which is permitted 1 shot per barrel per 4 sec. As it has 12 barrels (6x2), this should result in an average of 3/sec. But yeah, 6x2 guns would probably be a ridiculous number to try to fit in a Battleship, let alone a 1.46m cruiser

17. Nibbles1

Oh actually 3/16 is smallest? Hmm.....

18. Gunboat Diplomat

Thanks to a kind soul helping out at the AusBG meet, my destroyer got on the water for a few minutes. Unfortunately, the motors I had driving it were woefully insufficient, and died while it was in the middle of the pond. They have since been upgraded to 12V motors, as well as putting in some acrylic tubing so the motors don't have to be in-line with the prop shafts. I've been recommended against using the hull in combat though, as it's 100% balsa wood. Not going to argue there, as having it stay in one piece sounds just fine to me.

As to future construction, the list of things to build with my friend now looks roughly like
    1. Unarmed transport/s
    2. CAD model of Admiral Hipper + whatever ship I settle on
    3. 2-gun 3/16" turrets (admittedly, the Worcester's 6 guns may be a bit enthusiastic, but it would mean that we can just make 10 of the same turrets)
    4. 3-gun 7/32" turrets (if I end up settling on alaska)
    5. Build Admiral Hipper + other ship
    I'll probably start sketching plans for the turrets after the build meet of the gold coast club this weekend.

19. Nibbles1

I have seen effective balsa hulls (around 100%) but yeah 100% balsa isn't the best. Transports are great starters. I would advise a torpedo cruiser because you don't have to do much complicated aiming things (elevation, even rotation). Battleships miss a lot. Torpedo ships... not as much. Besides, torpedo ships have a higher chance of hitting below the waterline. I just like torp ships. They are reliable.