Greeting From Virginia

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by bear23462, Mar 9, 2012.

1. bear23462

bear23462 Active Member

Greetings All,
    My name is Kenneth Berry, but I go by Ken. I am a retired Master Chief from the United States Navy. The Mid-Atlantic Battle Group has accepted my as a friend to the unit. To become involved I have done a ton of research and seen several live-firing events. I have purchased my first hull from Strike Models. It is a Pennsylvania-class battleship. I am anxiously awaiting its delivery. I look forward to be sailing the high-lakes and ponds of the area with the rest of the Captains of the seas. Looking forward to getting any advice that you salts can offer a newbie.
    Ken

2. warspiteIRC

warspiteIRC RIP

Best advice is to get in touch with your local group and you have already done that!

3. bear23462

bear23462 Active Member

I agree, Brian Alexander from the MABG has been a great help. I have certainly enjoyed the events that I have attended and look forward to becoming a full fledged Captain.

4. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Glorious! Glad to have another Navy man with us :) The Virginia fellas are good people, even if I've only met them via their forums :)

5. Knight4hire

Knight4hire Active Member

Hi Ken, I am still looking forward to seeing a copy of those photos you promised.

Tom
    LMO MABG

6. bear23462

bear23462 Active Member

Thanks Tugboat for the wam welcome. The MABG folks are a pretty good group of people. What did you do when you were active duty?

7. bear23462

bear23462 Active Member

Hey Tom,
    I am sorry to ask, but what pictures am I supposed to post?
    Ken

8. Jay Jennings

Jay Jennings Well-Known Member

Hi Ken,
    My name is Jay. I served 25 years in the Navy to your North, half on subs half on skimmers.
    I was going to ask you the same question. Welcome to the marvellous obsession!!
    J

9. bear23462

bear23462 Active Member

Pamnjay,
    My job was as an Electronics Technician. I was a diversified Sailor with time in the small boat units, moving on to auxillaries and finally ending on surface combatants. Most of my tours were on cans and cruisers. Early in my career I was a technical expert. As I advanced in rank I moved into the tactical picture and worked mainly with the AEGIS Weapons System. My last underway jobs were in CIC as a Combat Systems Coordinator (CSC) and Air Defense Coordinator. Nothing but a walk in the park.

10. Jay Jennings

Well from one Electronics Tech to another, welcome again. (But before you make a HUGE Mistake, buy an Axis ship, you will thank me later ;) )
    J

11. buttsakauf

buttsakauf Well-Known Member

See first post pamnjay^^^^ He is already dedicated to being a glorious allied skipper! Build on Ken!
    Das Bütts

12. Tugboat

I was an EM1(SS)... USS Albuquerque SSN706. At the time that I left the boat, we held the Navy record for most TLAMs fired from a non-VLS boat, all in one deployment.

13. NASAAN101

NASAAN101 Well-Known Member

Ken,
    Welcome! I also Have a family Member that serviced in the Navy!!!
    Nikki

14. bear23462

bear23462 Active Member

Tugboat,
    I definately understand. Was part of the CIC Strike team on numerous combat operations.

15. Jay Jennings

Yes, but anyone can see the error of their ways and repent ;);)
    J

16. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

Things sure have changed since my days in the fun time Navy. Nowadays you get to actually shoot at bad guys instead of endlessly tracking them around the Atlantic.
    Ken, where are you in VA? I'm in MD.

Steve

17. buttsakauf

buttsakauf Well-Known Member

As a fellow sailor I guess I should introduce myself better. I'm Michael Butts. I'm currently on shore duty in Charleston, SC. I just put on MN2 last fall after 6years as an E-4. I started as a nuke and failed out. Continued as a Torpedomans Mate and served just over a year on the USS Texas SSN-775 was medically disqualified from sub duty. Became a Mineman and finished up my sea time on a MCM rotational crew (Crew Reaper). Scariest moments... Going completely black (no emergency power) at 400ft down. 12-15ft seas in a 1500ton minesweeper. That was more funny than scary though. I was 1 of about 15 fellas who weren't laid up in their rack for those 3 days. Spent 65 of 72 hrs on watch. Whatcha gonna do on an 80 man crew.
    I'm sure I don't have as many sea stories as you but I hope we get to exchange some in the near future! Glad to have you aboard!
    Das Bütts

18. bear23462

bear23462 Active Member

Steve,
    Well, 1/2 of my time was spent tracking and reporting. The second 1/2 was spent shooting at bad guys. Now in my retired days, I am in the Hampton Roads area, Virginia Beach.

19. bear23462

bear23462 Active Member

Das Butts,
    Congratulations on your promotion. Would look forward to swapping some sea stories.
    Ken

20. Tugboat

Hey Dave, going completely black at 400', did the COW know where the chicken switches were in the dark? (hope so!) That would be about as scary a moment as I can think of in a modern sub.