Greetings

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by BigTomAction, Apr 30, 2010.

1. BigTomAction

BigTomAction New Member

Hi there!
    Just wanted to intorduce myself as a new member. I have a little bit of RC modeling experience including a sailboat, work on a few electric deep vees, a little work on an airplane or two, and a kit built Submarine that is almost finished! I'm really excited about finding this group of people who won't think I'm crazy for wanting to sink other peoples RC Boats!!

I have always had a fascination with naval combat and have snatched up as many videogames as I could get my hands on that deal with the topic (Navy Field is a great one that is free to download and play for anyone who has never heard of it). I also love building models and have since I was 5. My grandfather built literally dozens of RC airplanes and unfortunatly passed away before I was old enough and smart enough to want to learn from him. Modeling has always been a way for me to feel closer to him.

Well, I don't want to get too longwinded here. I'm really excited to lay my first keel once the submarine is done in the next week or two! Any suggestions would be great! Planning on going for a wood hull.

Tom
    Lakewood, Wa

2. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

there are some active fast gun folks up in Seattle area, and justin and I are in tr-cities.... what format do you intend to play in?

3. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Welcome aboard. Have you been to a battle yet? We (Washington Cascade Column) have one scheduled for the 16th, can't remember if its going to be in Bellevue or Tacoma.

4. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

Welcome to the hobby, and the site.
    It would be kinda hard for us to suggest a particular ship for you at this point.
    Best bet would be to find out who is closest to you, and what format they are battling to. And perhaps even what they are running.
    Happy hunting.
    Mikey

5. BigTomAction

BigTomAction New Member

Wow, Thanks for all the quick replys! For starters, I have not been to battle yet and would love to see one in person. There's only so much you can get from you tube. As far as format goes, I was considering fast gun but I would be more than happy to comply with whatever people are playing in the area! For awhile I figured I would just be patrolling the local lakes and ponds solo keeping them safe for the ducks but now that I know there are people in the are as crazy as me, I'm even more excited then I was before!

6. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

come to the next battle. you won't see me till the cle elum battles start up. You should talk with phill, he may have a ship for loan/sale

7. Buddy

Buddy Active Member

Welcome aboard and good hunting!
    Buddy

8. BigTomAction

BigTomAction New Member

I would love to come to the next battle! Where and when?

9. phill

phill Active Member

Seattle area is a bit misleading...
    We have captains from Olympia to Bothell these days. I am in Olympia, Hovey is in Yelm. Both are not that far from you.
    Take a look at our website http://www.eskimo.com/~phill/wcc to get a taste of our local club. You can also sign up for the local emails from the web site. We also have a forum under the individual club section. We are noninally IRCWCC based fast-gun battlers with a pretty casual approach to the hobby. There are some ships listed as available under lend/lease. None of these are really beginner's ships but I am trying to talk Nick into moving up which would free up the Suffren which is a good ship to learn on.
    Phill - Minister of Misinformation

10. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Phill, I should be done with the Suffren in June if all goes well.