Greetz! From

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by shdwdrgnhunter, May 25, 2010.

1. shdwdrgnhunter

shdwdrgnhunter New Member

Just saying greetings, and that this hobby is a pain to track down. other than that, i'm in the planning phase, deciding on the stats, shape and how much this is gonna depth-charge my wallet..
    Shdwdrgnhunter

2. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

Welcome, first thing to decide is what format you want to be active in. Really it comes down to where you live, and what the people near you are battling, always better to have someone close to play with your boats with.

3. eljefe

eljefe Active Member

How much depth charging do you want? ;)

4. Knight4hire

Knight4hire Active Member

Welcome to this wonderful group.

This hobby is a lot more than just boats that shoot.
    You will be building friendships with the members of the club(s).
    Do you want to get into BIG GUNS, fast guns?
    144, 1/72, or 1/96 scale?

So before you touch the wallet, why not look into the different groups/clubs.
    Attend a few meets.
    Find the format that fits you.
    Then look around for a used boat to buy, so that you will have something to sail while you are building your dream boat.

Turrets seem to be one of the most expensive items. If your dream ship has ten turrets! Do not buy all of them at once. Once the hull is finished only buy one, then as funds become available add another turret until you have the full complement.

The rules do not state that you must have all turrets on your ship.

As I said before, Welcome, and look at the different formats first before you think about breaking open the piggy bank.

5. domk2000

domk2000 New Member

I just found this site myself! I bought my "kit" (1/144) in 1997...USS Brooklyn Class. Did I know what I was doing? nope...still don't. I started it and never finished. I got overwhelmed by the lack of....let's say "direction" from Swampworks (when they still existed). It was not really a "Beginner's" project as it was advertised.:mad:
    Now I am older and wiser. I'm trying to decide if this is something I want to put more money, time and personal investment in or sell my existing kit. I'd be interested in hearing any interest in buying. But I am still not sure I want to sell yet.:crying:
    I live in NW Indiana and am having a hard time finding any interest out here. Shame... I love the idea of RC Naval battle.

6. Knight4hire

Hello Kuz.
    Yepper, you put the cart before the horse.
    Check the "Is there a club near me?" on the home page.
    I saw 12 members of this forum in Indiana!

Look into the various formats.
    Find what fits your tastes.
    Then you will know if you would want to stay with your ship you purchased or trade it for something else.

I have seen a lot of strong support from the groups.

Sometimes yes, it is a drive to get to a meet. My longest drive is just over four hours!
    I normally stay over night then head back home the next day.

Again, Welcome. And if you have any questions feel free to ask. That is what this forum is all about.

7. warspiteIRC

warspiteIRC RIP

Try the http://groups.yahoo.com/group/buckeyebattlesquadron/ for the Buckeye Battle Squadron for fast gun action.

8. eljefe

eljefe Active Member

9. Buddy

Buddy Active Member

Welcome aboard ! I am sure you will find all the help you will need through the wionderful people here.
    Buddy

10. Knight4hire

Just looked at the map and it looks like that should be about an hours drive to get to the Illinois Club. (Depending on the condition of the Tri State)
    Many years ago, I would drive between central Indiana and the North West Chicago Burbs. It would take me between three and four hours for the trip.