Gun Cam on Big Gun Viribus

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by Kotori87, Jul 13, 2009.

1. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Hey folks, I just posted the video I captured from yesterday's battle. I filmed the 4th sortie of the day from atop the monstrous stern cannon on my Viribus Unitis. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aznmGI3ckx4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXGg81LDVWE

2. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

Here's the videos with links rather than URLs. You may notice that Kotori is just a bit fast on the trigger. He also forgot to turn on his pumps at first and returned for a quick stop in port at the beginning to rectify the situation. In part two, Windrider's Hog Islander, the Charboneau, got stuck on a rock or root near shore and Kotori and I closed to attack. Kotori got stuck, but was able to work free after the end of the sortie and return home safely. I'm curious what happened to the transport, as she was scored as sinking with no damage?
    Part 1
    Part 2

3. eljefe

eljefe Active Member

That was pretty good! "The Kotori Mega-Gun"!

4. mighty_yamoto

mighty_yamoto New Member

dang that thing sounds like it can take out anything

5. warspiteIRC

warspiteIRC RIP

cool, the camera footage came out great! I was shocked at the people which were in the picture at times, close and standing in the water with shorts on! Don't they get shot on occasion?

6. DarrenScott

DarrenScott -->> C T D <<--

"Man in the water" is considered a reason to call cease fire here. Dosen't happen all the time, but is a reason.
    Besides, bending down to work on a ship in the water, while another fully-armed ship sails by seem a bit....risky.

7. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

When you see people's feet, the boat is in port. We have two ports, one for each team. Port is for launching and recovering ships, reloading single-shot torpedoes, and performing minor maintenance. During battle, if you are able to return to port, you can do things like adjusting the superstructure, flipping the safety switch, clearing weeds, and other minor maintenance that does not go below deck. Asides from test-firing guns (making sure to fire out to sea, and not at other boats), there is no shooting into or out of port. The ports are at the edge of the main combat areas, so people occasionally get hit while standing in port, but no more often than when standing on any other portion of the shore.

At the 2006 Last man Standing we set up a screen barrier to protect people in port. The action was very close to port since it was a cage match, and the cruiser skippers who had to reload their torpedoes were very happy to have the barrier. However, we found that it wasn't needed for most battles.

We got a lot more footage from the August battle, but we haven't uploaded it yet. Still trying to decide: should we edit something awesome, once we film another battle, or should we upload what we've got right now and spoil the surprise?

8. warspiteIRC

warspiteIRC RIP

upload what you already have here is awsome!

9. warspiteIRC

warspiteIRC RIP

where did you get the camera? Traxxas has one out but I don't think it takes pictures as good as what you are using.

10. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

The camera is the Oregon Scientific ATC2K. The sound is terrible (the cannon sounds like a monster, and the opponents' guns make a "plink" you can hardly notice), but the video isn't bad. I've got to review some video from my regular video camera before I can make any decision about editing a video or uploading the raw footage.