H class BB

Discussion in 'Construction' started by Jay Jennings, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Jay Jennings

Jay Jennings Well-Known Member

Hello all,
    I am looking for a bit of info on the German H-Class.
    I have found a couple of different displacements so which one is being used here for construction. I have a model length of almost 76(75.95) inches and beam of almost 10 1/4 (10.17). How close are these numbers as well?
    How many combat units does she get?
    Thanks,
    J

2. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

Technically, there were several "H-class" designs. H39 (the one that was actually laid down) was 277.8m which matches your 75.95 inches, with 10.17 for the beam and 2.789 inches draft at 1:144 scale. (Info from http://www.german-navy.de/kriegsmarine/zplan/battleships/schlachtschiffh/tech.html)

Combat units? Depends on what ruleset you're building to. MWC & IRC don't allow theoreticals or ships that weren't completed, so "zero" would be the answer there. From what I understand of Big Gun, "Yes" would be the answer for them :laugh:.

3. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

Does Treaty allow the H-39?

4. buttsakauf

buttsakauf Well-Known Member

Yes, and there is one built already if I recall correctly.
    Das Butts

5. Jay Jennings

Yup there is and thanks for the point in the right direction.
    J

6. buttsakauf

Gröner, Erich (1990). German Warships: 1815–1945 On page 37 he lists it's displacement in long tons at 62,600.
    Sturton, Ian (2008). Conway's Battleships: Revised and Expanded Edition On page 74 he lists it's displacement at 52,607t standard and 62,497t deep load.

I would consider these to be two very good resources for definitive numbers. I would trust the numbers in this Conway's over the older ones.
    Das Butts

7. glaizilla

glaizilla Active Member

the H-39 is the only one Treaty officially recognizes..yet, My Hindenburg is 76" L 10 1/8" wide, cant remember the draft on top of my head, in Treaty she gets 7.5 units, and is rated as a 30 knot ship.

8. Jay Jennings

Cool thanks.
    I got the 48 lbs from the other post.
    Funny I would have thought the boat would be heavier and have at least a half unit more considering the size of it, when you compare the numbers for Scharnhorst and Bismarck. Still only 48 lbs will make my tired old back happier than say 58 ;)
    Mike, I will take your word for the std displacement at 52 k.
    Thanks again for all the input.
    J

9. buttsakauf

Build it as per the plans and see what it comes out to. If you are building for treaty it gives you a max weight on the ship list. Big Gun clubs let you build any listed tonnage for the most part.
    Das Butts

10. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

Something to watch out for, is which measurement of ton is being used. A short ton is 2000 lbs. A long ton is 2240 lbs and a metric ton is 2205 lbs. I believe that Conways uses a metric ton (tonne) as it's standard unit of measure. Since treaty uses /long ton/ as a standard (this is what was defined in the Washington Treaty), it leads to confusion when taking numbers at their face value as some ships are close to the line of getting more.

Nagato is a prime example. She's 32,500 /long/ tons standard, for 5.5 units. If you convert that to metric tons (which is what I believe Conways reports in) it works out to 33,015 tons, which would be good for 6.0 units. It's a simple translation mistake, but can lead to confusion as to what's what. Make sure that your displacements are all in long tons!

11. buttsakauf

I just copied the terminology in the book. I am relatively ignorant of how the different tonnages are annotated. Hence me putting 62,600 long tons and on the other reference 52,607t and 62,497t. I do not know which tonnage the lower case "t" refers to.
    Das Butts

12. Quintanius

Quintanius Member

How is your build comming along? We should share info and pics if you are still at it. As of today (July 15) I have all the ribs cut out, sanded to a super fine finish, have the Stern and Bow started, and just yesterday cut out the slots for the ribs in the baseboard. I have to modify the ribs for the armor belt (the plans from Goff do not show them extending all the way to the bow). Also, the J class was laid down as well. Much less construction, but they did start her as well. Have pictures of that. They laid down 1,200 tons of material for the H class and "less material" for the J.
    Quote: "Die Kiellegung für das Schiff "H" erfolgte am 15.7.1939 bei der Werft Blohm & Voss in Hamburg. Am 15.5.39 folgte bei der AG Weser in Bremen auch die Kiellegung für das zweite Schiff (J). Doch bereits am 10.10.39 erfolgte für beide Schiffe der Baustopp sowie die Annullierung der Bauaufträge "M" und "N". Bis dahin wurde für "H" 1.200 t Material verbaut. Wesentlich weniger wurde für das zweite Schiff verwendet."
    Very loose and roughly translated, it means that:
    The keel for the H class was laid on 07-15-1939 by the warf of Blohm & Voss in Hamburg. The keel for the second J ship was laid on 05-15-1939 by the AG Weser in Bremen. Construction was halted for both ships on 10-10-1939 as well as the construction orders for the M N class. Up to this 1,200 tons of material was used to construct the H class. Significant less was used on the second ship (J class).
    http://www.deutsches-marinearchiv.d...klasse.htm
    Thomas