Hello from annapolis

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by blitz, Jul 11, 2009.

1. blitz

blitz New Member

Hi all
    My name is Evan. I am an avid highschool sailor and am looking to get into this hobby. I have done R/C boats before but have taken a 2 year break. I do not know how much modeling skill you would say I have but i helped my dad build a traintable from scratch from plans so I quess between the two of us we have some skill. I the vessel that realy got me into this is the USS Iowa, but from what I understand this is a hard ship to start out with.I am looking for a club to help me out but if there is a specific forum that I should post it to find out more info?
    -Evan

2. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

Even
    Welcome to the hobby, and the site.
    You are in a good area for r/c warship combat, as there are several clubs in various formats around you.
    There some big-gunners in Md, and Va.
    There are several IRCWCC (fast-gun) folks nearby (one is in Annapolis).
    And there are some Treaty folks as well.
    Your best bet would be to try to hook up with as many of the clubs as possible, so that you can get an idea of what they are about, and then, after deciding which club (or format) that you are most interested in, you can pick a boat that would best suit your needs in that club.
    More than likely. If you are able to attend a battle with any of them in the near future, there might be a loaner boat available for you to use. That would allow you more time to decide what boat you want to build.
    Good luck.
    Mikey

3. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

Hi Evan,
    Mikey is right, you are in a good area. The IRCWCC is strong in your area. The "Hayes shipyard" has Friday night build sessions. You can post to the IRCWCC section of these forums or go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/IRCWCC to get in contact with us. There are several Iowas in our club, one near you. Most would recommend starting on a smaller ship to begin but it always seems by the second or third, you are in your favorite ship. Contact us, we even hold frequent battles in the region. The next will be fall regionals at Hagerstown, MD. I think loaners ships are available too.

Welcome aboard,
    Rob A.
    IRCWCC VP

4. Buddy

Buddy Active Member

Welcome and it sounds like you are in the idea spot! I agree that an Iowa is not the right ship to start with you have the right place to get a lot of you information right here with these great people to help you. I would diffnetly go check out the groups around you and see what fits you best.
    Buddy

5. Knight4hire

Knight4hire Active Member

Welcome Evan:

Check out the various clubs and see which group you feel most comfortable with.

If you are interrested in check out BIG Guns. The Mid Atlantic Battle Group will be having a sailing on July 18th.

6. Windrider0275

Windrider0275 Member

Hi Evan,

explore this site and ask questions. Find a club and go watch them battle. Drive one of their boats around and get hooked. Enjoy yourself and pick a boat that is easy to build to avoid frustration. plenty of help from all these guys too. Welcome.

Steve

7. blitz

blitz New Member

hey guys thanks for the welcomes. sorry to take so long to get a response out i have been busy the past few days and haven't had a chance to get on the computer. what is the difference between these combat classes? how can i find a club near me?

8. Knight4hire

Knight4hire Active Member

Evan:
    Just go to the"Getting started" Link here on this web site.
    You will be able to find the various groups in the area and Captains.
    Don't forget to look at the states around you as well.

9. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

There's some good video on you tube of the different clubs

10. warspiteIRC

warspiteIRC RIP

Hello! We are the local group of the IRCWCC (www.ircwcc.org). We have building sessions on Friday nights (7pm to 10:30pm) in a two car garage at 1106 Skyway Drive, Cape St. Claire, Annapolis, MD 21409. Contact me at mhayes20.at.verizon.net for directions.

Marty Hayes