Hello from Celina OH

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Kun2112, Apr 11, 2010.

1. Kun2112

Kun2112 Active Member

I've been looking at this hobby off and on for about three-four years now. I was living in Little Rock for a while but couldn't find a club nearby. I understand that there are several clubs active in Ohio, and would like to stop by a meeting or battle if possible.

2. warspiteIRC

warspiteIRC RIP

Check the www.IRCWCC.org site go to calendar and punch the ohio battle that will come up in May! Conact Buddy Friend via. the link that to be connected to one of the local club operating under IRCWCC rules.

Marty Hayes
    owner of the IRCWCC yahoo group.

3. Miller7D

Miller7D Member

Welcome to the merry band of pirates--I mean, model warship enthusiasts!

4. eljefe

eljefe Active Member

I think Ohio has a little bit of every flavor of the hobby there is--IRCWCC, MWC, Big Gun, and Treaty. You ought to have many options to consider!

5. Kun2112

Kun2112 Active Member

Thanks for the welcome. I'm not sure which rule set I want to build yet, but I am leaning towards IRCWCC because of the availability of guns and it seems to be the largest group. As far as my first ship, I am leaning towards the Roberts-class HMS Ambercrombie or an American Cleveland/Atlanta Cruiser. The cruisers have hull kits available, so for the fabrication they may be the way to go. Any thought on this?

6. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

Welcome to the hobby, and the site.
    The Cleveland class cruiser would probably be the best choice for a first ship out of the group you listed.
    It is larger then the others, and as you said.. A kit is available from Battler's Connection.
    The is a fast-gun battle coming up in the middle of May in Newark, Ohio.
    And we are hoping that there will be some fast-gunners attending the Treaty battle in Xenia, Ohio
    on Memorial Day weekend.
    I live in Pleasant Hill, Ohio (Troy).
    We will be having some build sessions perhaps every other weekend here. Perhaps you can drop in at one in
    the neasr future.
    Happy hunting..
    Mikey

7. Kun2112

Kun2112 Active Member

Actually, if there is a Treaty group that close, that may be the way to go. I think I will stop by one of your weekend sessions to meet and greet!

8. eljefe

eljefe Active Member

It's best to go see some battles and attend build sessions before deciding on a ship. You'll get a much better idea of strengths and weaknesses, how different ships are used, different battling styles, ease of construction, etc. that will help you decide what is best for your interests and skill level.

9. Buddy

Buddy Active Member

Hello and welcome. We have regular build sessions and get togethers all over the state. You are welcome to come to our may battle and check it out.
    Buddy