Hello from central Maryland

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Tyndmyr, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Tyndmyr

Tyndmyr New Member

Hey all,
    Brand new to this sort of thing, albeit with a little experience in RC cars and planes. Looking to find a local group and decide what sort of ship I'm going to buy/build.
    Any good guides out there for building the weapon systems?

Thanks, Travis

2. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

Hello Travis.
    You are in a pretty good location if you are interested in R/C warship combat.
    There are a grunch of fast-gun folks in MD. IRCWCC mainly.
    Battle sites in NY, and Hagerstown, MD.

There are some big-gun folks in Virginia.
    Blacksburg, and perhaps others.

There are some Treaty folks out in York, Pa., and Virginia.
    Perhaps MD as well.

So some advice would be to try to hook up with the group that is the closest to you.
    So that you can meet folks, look at ships, and perhaps get help building your first boat.
    And you can check out any other groups/formats down the road,and see what they are doing as well.
    Welcome to the hobby, and the site.
    Good hunting.
    Mikey

3. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

Travis,

Your in R/C Warship central! The "Legend" Marty (and his workshop) are right down the road from you in Annapolis. There's also resources in Edgewater. As Mikey mentioned, there's a strong Treaty presense in York, PA and a growing big-gun group in northern VA.

Say hello over at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/IRCWCC for the closest group.

Steve Tyng
    Chevy Chase, MD

4. Tyndmyr

Tyndmyr New Member

I'm not familiar with the differences between big gun and fast gun. Is there a place I can find the official rules for both?

Definitely good to see that there's groups around here. I've gotten a coupla friends interested, but none of us has a good battle location ourselves. I'll check em out!

5. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

I am not sure if the big-gun, or fast-gun folks have their rules posted on this site.
    They both do have yahoo groups, where the rules are probably posted. Or at least a link to them.
    The Treaty rules are posted on this site, in the Treaty area.
    Page one. Under Treaty rules. Just click the link.
    Our ship list is posted there also.
    Mikey

6. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

You have to go hang out with Marty, Steve and the gang on a friday build night. They have like 5 ships being built right now.
    We have battles at Hagerstown, Md. Usually twice a year but if you want to find ponds...:)

7. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

Not to sidetrack the thread much, but is the NE Spring Regional still scheduled for Conron?

8. thegeek

thegeek Well-Known Member

9. warspiteIRC

warspiteIRC RIP

Hello, come on over to Cape St. Claire some friday night 1106 Skyway, Annapolis, md. and we can give you a look at the hobby and ships.

10. Knight4hire

Knight4hire Active Member

Hi Travis:

To see what BIG Guns is about, try our website: MABG.org
    The rules and building requirements are listed there.

Here is the basic differences between BIG and Fast Guns:

If you are looking for a lot of action to happen quickly, go for fast guns.
    Everyone has the same armor and ammo. The amount of ammo is limited. Limit on how many guns can be operational.

In BIG Guns, the ship move slower. The armor and size of ammo depends of the Armor and guns of the actual ship.
    No limit on amount of ammo carried onboard. Every gun on the ship, if possible can be made operational. No combat reverse.

11. Tyndmyr

Tyndmyr New Member

Knight, I checked it out, and it looks interesting. Is there a maryland Big Gun group? Blacksburg, VA is a bit of a drive from central MD. Ideally, my friends and I would like to check out each of the local clubs to get a feel for what's going on.

12. Knight4hire

Knight4hire Active Member

We have a number of ponds through out the State of Virginia. One in Hampton, several in Fredericksburg and one near Leesburg to name but a few.

13. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Ahoy there Travis, I built the Z-25 from Battler's Connection using their fiberglass hull, and armed it for Big Gun. I also have a nice set of digital plans for that class as well. Would any of that be helpful to you?

14. Tyndmyr

Tyndmyr New Member

Plans are always fantastic. I already ordered a set from strikemodels, but if your set is different, it could be valuable to see a different take on it.