Hello from Chicagoland

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Miller7D, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Miller7D

Miller7D Member

Greetings, salutations, and full broadsides for all!
    I first heard about this crazy hobby in the back of a World War II magazine when Swampy still owned Swampworks, and it was practically love at first sight. I'm one of those heathens that believes a model should be functional rather than an glorified paperweight, and I've had the itch to build and battle for years, just not the time or the resources.
    In addition to being a Fast Gun/MWC enthusiast without a command, I am a professional photographer specializing in weddings, church conferences, and other special events. So, at some point in the future you may see me at events cheerfully shooting hundreds of frames and capturing all the action as only Canon D-SLRs (in my opinion) can do. Later this year I'm hoping to start work on my first build, and thank God for Strike Models and their purchase of Swampworks Mfg assets; I've wanted a swampworks hull for ages.
    Looking forward to diving into the Magnificent Obsession!

2. Buddy

Buddy Active Member

Welcome aboard! Happy to have you come along!
    Buddy

3. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

Welcome to the hobby, and the site.
    What ship are you looking to build?
    Mikey

4. Miller7D

Miller7D Member

Thanks both of you for the welcome.
    My first build will be either a Brooklyn (especially for combat) or an Iowa, but I really want to build an Iowa, at least to be a showboat before doing a combat conversion later on down the road. The more likely scenario is the Brooklyn first, since it seems to be among the most rookie-friendly. But that Iowa... it calls to me, lol.

5. eljefe

eljefe Active Member

Algonquin, huh? That's where I grew up before moving to the distant Mojave Desert. One thing's for sure--there's far more little ponds and lakes to sail upon in your neck of the woods than out here.

6. Miller7D

Miller7D Member

Aye, that definitely will make testing whatever boat I build or buy really easy.

7. eljefe

eljefe Active Member

There's a MWC club in the Chicago area. Have you been in touch with this guy?

http://www.modelwarshipcombat.com/contacts.shtml?IL

That club used to have a website too but it was on Geocities, which closed down last fall. I haven't seen a new site for them yet.

8. Miller7D

Miller7D Member

I haven't, no, but I did know there's a club near me; that will make life so much easier. Thanks for reminding me of it, Jefe!

9. moose421

moose421 Member

Welcome to the obsession. I to started out with an old swampy hull. It was the Brooklyn. Now sails and fights as the Wichita. There is a Fast gun clun in the chicago land area. They do sometimes travel up to Minneapolis to battle with the Port Polar Bears. I am from central Wisconsin.

once again welcome, The people here in the forums are a very good group and will help with any questions.

Kim

10. Miller7D

Miller7D Member

Much appreciated, Moose. Looking forward to mixing it up with all of you!

11. Knight4hire

Knight4hire Active Member

Welcome to the group.
    I have had a lot of fun here.

I used to live up river from you, in Cary!
    Now I am in Virginia with Big Guns group.

12. Superarp

Superarp Member

algonquin? Im in naperville! Nice.... Im a big gunner building a maryland.

13. Superarp

Superarp Member

of course, im not sure i want to go big gun yet, im still building the hull

14. Miller7D

Miller7D Member

Well, I'm going the fast gun route, at least for the first hull or two; a lot easier on the bottom line, so to speak. More reason for everyone to build a fleet of ships and have something for everything, lol.

15. Superarp

Superarp Member

good point, but if u want to build a big gun later, tell me, i want someone to battle with when im done!

16. Miller7D

Miller7D Member

I suppose we could always go the Treaty/unsanctioned route and just duel for the fun of it, Ironguns, lol. Though I have to say, right now the notion of repairing damage from quarter-inch roundshot does not appeal to me. If nothing else, we should get together at some point in the future for a building day or even a regatta.

17. Superarp

Superarp Member

huh, ya...... i i ever get my ship finished, which is lookig less and less likely.

18. Miller7D

Miller7D Member

I haven't even decided on a hull to buy yet, much less set aside the money to buy it with. The most likely scenario for me is a late spring buy and a summer build. I may not even be able to fit out a ship for combat this year, and may build whatever kit I buy as a showboat first, and then refit for combat during the fall/winter and get out with the Port Polar Bear guys for their first events in 2011. That is, of course, unless things happen and I can devote time and resources to such a project in time for some end-of-the-year battling, but who knows.

19. jpmarino

jpmarino Active Member

20. Miller7D

Miller7D Member

Can't wait to start seeing this part of the site grow!