Hello from Mississippi

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by radollar2000, Dec 29, 2008.

1. radollar2000

radollar2000 Active Member

Hey everybody! I just want to go ahead and thank ya'll for the ideas and questions answered just by reading. It is really great that I could look around and get a feel of the site before joining. So anyhow, I'm a college student at Mississippi State University and I have started construction on a Des Moines Class crusier with the hope of completion by the summer months. Hope to see ya'll on the water!

Happy Holidays and Capsizing
    (hopefully at the end of my guns) :)

2. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

happy holidays and welcome aboard radollar. Glad to have you, what clubset will you be battling with? Have you visited any battles or build sessions yet? If you answered i dont know, or no to either, you might want to. Veterans help alot, believe me, and we have them here. Best of luck. Also, as a side note, I am planning to complete my first ship, a Graf Spee, for the summer too.

3. JustinScott

JustinScott Well-Known Member

Welcome on board, thanks for the kind words. :) If you have any questions or problems with your build... don't hesitate to ask! :)

4. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

Welcome.
    You have picked a cruiser that is very forgiving to the new builder. She has plenty of room, and weight. But you stil need to think "weight-saving" from the start, when it comes to stuff that isn't in the very floor of the ship.
    Just so that she doesn't get too top-heavy.
    Happy trails.
    Mikey

5. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

There is a big battle getting put together March 15-16-17 in LA, kind of next door to you. If you can make it over I should have my spare cruiser for you to battle with. Check out this for more info:
    http://www.mwci.org/eventinfo.shtml?108_11_2_11

6. BoomerBoy17

Oh yea, where in Mississippi are you? I was down there in april to help with the clean-up in Biloxi (from the hurricanes), as it is still really bad there.

7. warspite

warspite Active Member

Hey Ralph,

Welcome aboard. If you have the opportunity I would certainly try and come down to New Orleans in March. It should be a heck of a fight. It doesn't look like there are too many battlers geographicaly close to you, but don't let that discourage you. The first time I actualy saw another boat was at my first battle (which was a complete disaster - but that is another story). I am probably the closest MWCI battler to you, based out of Monroe in North East Louisiana. There are also a large number of battlers in Atlanta, which is also at least somewhat close. If for whatever reason you are traveling down I-20 in either direction, look us up and stop by to look at boats.

If you have any questions do not hesitate to drop an email or even call (you can find my contact info on the mwci.org page under Louisiana). There will be a lot of stuff that makes absolutely no sense to you at first, and the best way to figure it out is ask tons and tons of questions. I would also consider making a thread under the warship builds. The folks that read those are very helpful. The build for my first ship, the Scharnhorst, can be found in that forum (under "BC Scharnhorst Kit Build" at the end of page 3).

Looking forward to battling with you!

John

8. radollar2000

March 15-17 huh? I'll have to try to make that. Thanks guys.

9. radollar2000

Okay, while I'm waiting for my water channeling to dry I thought I would ask a few newbi questions. For starters, aside from scale what are the differences between clubs/groups? For example I've read references to Big-Gun Vs. Fast Gun. Just for reference I'm building the 1/144 scale Des Moines BC Kit. I am planning on triple stern, but may fiddle with a forward arc triple just for shits. I'm going to be using 5/6 D cell 10AH NiMH batteries and a Spectrum DX5e transmitter.

10. BoomerBoy17

You know what they call a bow gun(forward gun)?
    The sign of a rookie. Now, there are times where a bow gun is useful, but for the most part, dont. The triple sterns are highly respected, plus with a bow gun, you must chase a ship, or be pointed at it to use it, neither of which are very good ideas.

11. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

Well I would have to disagree with those last comments Boomer. It comes down to what type of ship I would say. My PE (VU class) with bow guns will easily sink your Spee, and take little to no damage in return.

But I have to agree with you on his cruiser, make it trip sterns for sure, the bow gun would be a waste in fast gun. You will find her to be a poor turning ship compared to some of the Axis twin rudder cruisers, and get shot to peices trying to get a bow gun on target.

His boat will be gun and run, or sink.

12. radollar2000

okay well that's what I had heard and it makes sense...I just like the idea and so might toy with it is all but for combat it would be triple stern. As for the forward gun statement...I've been having brain farts all dang day. You would think I was getting old or something. :)

13. djranier

I am old, lol.

14. BoomerBoy17

Yea, we have a good mix of old, young and really old here. I understand DJ, im sure your PE would destroy me, but im saying in general, bow guns arent widely used. Your pe also has surpise working for it, but it cant get into the knife fights either.

15. djranier

Knife fights, you will have to ask the KG5's, I-boats, Richelou's, South Carolina's, and numerious cruisers about that. I have no problem taking on 2 ships at once with her, with them trying to side mount me all the time. I deal out way more damage than I take.

You just don't see ships turn like this one, I have refined her turning ability after months of work on it. The last battle, one of the other battlers on the Allied side after he was sunk for the 3rd time, said it was un-natural the way she can turn, and one of the other Allied captains almost fell down laughing when I gave him a little demo.

How many ships have you seen that can rotate while going in reverse, or make a 180 deg turn in reverse at full speed in 2 hull lenghts. My best tactic is too let you come in, then I start turning while backing up, the Allied boat then tries to follow me around while moving forward, trying in vain to get his side mounts on me, and I just smash in his forward bow area with the tripples, and down he goes.

The best Allied tactic is to stay away, lol.

I hope to make the IRC regionals, but plan on bring the ID, if the hull is finished in time. I would like to use the battle to get all the bugs worked out in time for the MWC nats.

16. BoomerBoy17

That turning ability sounds insane. I really like the ID, do you have any pictures?

17. djranier

No pictures yet. With the cold weather and the mold maker having to do his real job, making Corvette body parts, he has not been able to finish it as of yet.

But as of last weekend he told us that he was working on the second side of the mold, and hoped to have it done this weekend, but again with the cold front that is coming through, I doubt that he has gotten much more done on it, so my best guess would be weekend after next to get the first hull.

18. BoomerBoy17

You guys have cold in Orlando? I thought that was unheard of. I mean they cancell school in Virginia for a dusting of snow, do you guys have a state emergency when it drops below 50?

19. djranier

I went to work this morning and it was 43 deg, just way to cold for us down here in the tropics. Tomorrow they are talking close to 30.

20. BoomerBoy17

Wow, you poor souls, it was 12 degrees this morning here. I remember a few years ago we got 2 days off from school for the cold, it was like -5 at noon. Freaky cold.