hello

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Tabby, Jun 22, 2008.

1. Tabby

Tabby New Member

hey, im Austin, and am highly interested in this....how much does a small dd cost? and were is the nearest club? *live in chicago Ill*

2. Gettysburg114th

Gettysburg114th Well-Known Member

Hey Austin,
    You have to remember that smaller does not always mean cheaper. I would look at the least a heavy cruiser. As far as clubs in the area, I would contact Mike at Froggyfrenchman@aol.com

3. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

JP lives in Chicago, big Cubs fan...
    Pat, Jordan & John also live in Chicago or close to it.
    I'll send you JP's e-mail off the forum.
    As for cost a cruiser, the ship most guys start with, will cost about $800. That includes the hull, all the parts, batteries and a radio. You can do a few things to make it cheaper. But you'll still spend around $650

4. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

Tabby, ur in a sophmore? in chicago? a friend of mine, same grade is heading there next year, maybe u'll see her, maybe not. And wow, i found some one who enjoys what i enjoy, haha, starship troopers was amazing. im suddenly saddened by the fact that im not alone. Good thing im a pessimist, ehh? What kind of ship are u thinking of running?

5. Tabby

Tabby New Member

well, a cruiser as i have been told its one of the cheapest,...but if i can ever get my hands on one, the hms hood....

6. BoomerBoy17

If u dont have much money, i would suggest starting with a transport. You wont spend as much money, and it is much simpler to build. Also, it will help you get your feet wet in this hobby, to see if it is for you. Also, you should attend a battle in your area to see if it is right for you.

7. klibben

klibben Member

Convoys can be a bit boring, but I do recommend attending a battle first - usually someone will let you sail their ship, then you can figure out if you like it.

If all you can afford is a convoy, perhaps build a cruiser as a convoy.... then when you get the money you can arm her.

8. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

I liked the Starship Troopers movie, too. Not even close to the book it was based on. The cartoon was Ok, a lot closer to the book. I've never been able to understad why you would pack all your starships so close together when you invade a planet. There is a little bit of room up there.

9. Gettysburg114th

Gettysburg114th Well-Known Member

Was that the one with Denis Richards in it?

10. BoomerBoy17

Good idea Klibben. A Independence class carrier can b converted to a Cleveland class cruiser. At first it wouldd be an interesting convoy, but then, with the right amount of work, it would b a fierce heavy cruiser, ready to pounce on and destroy the evil axis fleet!!! But yea, definetly attend a battle first. And well, the second movie was a disappointment, and they werent ment to be similar to the book, only th same idea. I know, they are a little dimwitted or arrogant, proably both. Like shooting fish in a barrel.

11. klibben

klibben Member

I'm doing something similar with my Kagero DD, using her as a convoy until I get used to how she handles in the water (DDs can be tricky) then dropping a spurt gun in her.

12. Tabby

Tabby New Member

....2 things.
    one. were is the nearest battle group to lake mischigan, as i live 15 miles away from it.(midway airport) and 2. how much is a cheap ship that does have guns?

13. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

There are two groups close to you. The MWC GLASS group in central MI. The Port Polar Bear group in Minneapolis MN. There are also some MWC guys in Chicago, but they don't have a cool name or web site yet. JP has been up to battle with us in MN before. I sent you his contact info off the forum.
    Cheap ship with guns would be like a Cleveland by Battler's Connection. It will be around $800. But will last for years. My first one battles once a month every time out for 10 years. Still in great shape.

14. Knight4hire

Knight4hire Active Member

Welcome Tabby:
    I also would like to know where the Illinois clubs hang out.
    (I'm from the Chicago area, Go Cubs, Bears, Bulls, and Black hawks!)
    I am now with the MABG in Virginia. I do get back to Illinois and the Chicago NW side every now and then. The Family is there, so I plan to relocate back there in a few years.
    I loved the Book Starship troopers. The only way I could enjoy the movie was by not comparing it to the book. I felt that the second movie was a real flop!

15. BoomerBoy17

I can only imagine how difficult a destroyer must b to build. And yea, it will b expensive to start, but it is rewarding and relatively cheap after the build. Good luck. And yea, ive never read the book, my local library isnt exactly diverse.

16. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

The head Chicago guy is in Addison, Illinois.

17. Tabby

Tabby New Member

*looks at wallet*....*looks at price tag on ships*....*looks back at wallet*...."hmm" says I, " i needs a job."

so....whats the most serius damage to happen to a ship?

18. BoomerBoy17

Complete and utter failure and implosion. No, really, the worst is probably ram damage which can put a good hole in ur ship, but normally, just BBs to the hull or superstructure is all.

19. BoomerBoy17

And yea, a job would help, im thinking of getting me one of those soon, possibly, maybe....... haha

20. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

The worst damage that can happen to a ship? Hmm, let's see...

falling out of a truck in the middle of the freeway
    CO2 regulator failure and accumulator explosion at 600PSI+ (HMS Hood impression)
    lithium-ion batteries reacting to water damage and exploding (HMS Queen Mary impression)
    wood rot due to not waterproofing the hull
    getting run over by parents returning from grocery-shopping
    cut in half with a bandsaw
    ripped apart when an end mill grabs the ship
    improperly mixed epoxy that never hardens
    recovery float failure at 30 feet deep
    recovery float failure in bird-#@$% pond
    sunk in a golf pond
    unexplained sudden electrical fire
    hit with a hammer
    purchased by a non-combat modeler

To the best of my knowledge, everything I have listed has actually happened. Almost all have resulted in the deaths of one or more combat ships. When you actually look at all the different ways a ship can die, you realize that the battle pond is probably one of the safest places for your ship to be.

And yes, a job is probably a good idea. When I first joined, I mowed lawns for $14 per weekend. Needless to say, I have since upgraded.