Hello

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by murat, Dec 22, 2015.

1. murat

murat New Member

Hello folks
    Murat here. I started out with static display models of tanks and aircraft. Then I started to build RC cars and aircraft.
    I now am into ships. My first was a Dragon 1/200 Yamato. She sank when I attempted to sail her in a slightly rough sea. Didn't know that it was supposed to be sailed in a pond...
    Now I obtained the plans for a 1/144 HMS Hood. Got all the stuff needed. Already have an enormous array of carpenter's tools and power tools. Only thing missing was a set of two component eoxy cement and a mini hand planer... :)
    I am looking forward to your tutorship.
    Bestest regards

2. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Welcome! Hood is a very pretty ship, which is the only means I use to pick combat vessels :) Others are not so fond of her because of the length and the single rudder. But build a ship that appeals to you and we will cheer you on :) Best advice on the epoxy is to NOT use the 2-part stuff in home stores... get a quart of West System 2-part, or Maas System, or another real boat-build epoxy. They are much better, and when you compare prices ounce for ounce, they're actually cheaper. I personally buy West System in the 1-gallon cans. We rarely run out of it at build sessions :)

murat likes this.
  3. murat

murat New Member

Hey there Tug... thanks for the warm welcome. I live in Turkiye... (right next to Syria, I am one of those crazy guys who downed the Russian Mig couple of days ago, remember ?) LOL
    I'm afraid we have all euro-stuff here, nothing you can lay your hands on in the US of A...
    I'm gonna look for marine grade epoxy though, the place where I live is called "the Turkish Riviera", all marinas and yacht berths (and of course yards to maintain and repair them.) I guess I'll easily find it.
    This evening I sawed out the posts out of 6 mm (approx. 1/4 in) marine grade plywood.
    They looked quite thin and weak to me, guess I'm gonna saw out another set and laminate them. My scroll saw makes life quite easy for sure...
    I will not go planking or fiberglass hull wrapping. I will use 1/4 in thick PVC foam boards instead. Gonna tack em in with my power stapler after applying adhesive.
    I have 4 sets of waterproof Traxxas Slash ESC-motor combos which will be ripped off my scratch built "8x8 FlameSlasher" airport fire truck model. The water pump will serve as a cooling pump. I plan to use A/C copper tubing to set up as cooling system plumbing.
    Let's see what I will be able to churn up... :)
    Cheers bruh...

EDIT : I don't know of anyone with large scale RC ships here, let alone anyone to play battle with :p. So I will probably not stick to the authentic design that much. Maybe I will go for a "fictitious modded HMS Hood" with twin rudders and a bit different superstructures...

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
  4. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Ah, I used to live in Izmir many years ago. Nice people :)

5. murat

murat New Member

Well that makes the two of us. After I quit the military I started working at the Cigli Airport. Lotsa TUSLOG people :)
    perhaps we even know eachother but forgot it LOL