Hello!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Mark C. DeCaro, Jan 23, 2024.

1. Mark C. DeCaro

Mark C. DeCaro Member

Thank you so much for allowing me to join! I just hope I don't become too much of a PITA when I start asking my questions!!:laugh:

2. darkapollo

darkapollo Well-Known Member

Ask away!

hi and welcome!

Mark C. DeCaro likes this.
  3. Mark C. DeCaro

Mark C. DeCaro Member

Thank you so much. I've had a 1/100 scale Bismarck hull from the Scale Shipyard for like 12 years now and never had time to do anything with it.
    Now that I'm retired, I have the time and was thinking of building it for warship combat. Now I have no idea how to get started except what I would
    have to do to convert the hull but, EVERYTHING else is a mystery!!:confused::confused:

4. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

Welcome!

So, we use 1/144th scale for our ships. You could definitely build a 1/100th ship for "combat" but it would not be legal for IRCWCC, which is the largest active actually battling population of captains in the world.

You can check out the IRCWCC.org website for our rules, club info, etc.

Where are you located? Generally the best advice is to link up with a local veteran captain, so you can check out what we do, why we do it, etc.

5. Mark C. DeCaro

Mark C. DeCaro Member

Yes, I've been noticing all the main clubs that I have been seeing are all using 1/144 scale. I'm down here in New Port Richey, Fl.
    The nearest Captain I've found so far is all the way out in Orlando. (about 3 hrs.).
    (Know anybody who wants a 1/100 scale Bismarck hull??:laugh::laugh::laugh:)

6. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

3 hours is actually relatively close for this hobby :woot:

@bkoehler might be able to direct you towards some more FL based captains. There is going to be a decent sized event in Statesboro, GA the weekend of Feb 16-19th. A lot of us are driving 12+ hours to attend. If you think you are up to it, you're always welcome to get a hotel room and check out what we do for the weekend.

A 1/100th Bismarck could make a beautiful scale lake cruiser, whereas a 1/144th ship could be your combat ship which is a little less pretty ;)

7. Mark C. DeCaro

Mark C. DeCaro Member

I've got a 1:200 scale Trumpeter Bismarck on the way which I'm converting to RC for my lake cruiser. The event in GA does sound like a good time but I don't believe I would be able to make it. I have to decide if I want to just part with my 1:100 hull and look into your company for a 1:144 replacement. My scratch building detail work isn't quite what it used to be!:confused:

8. darkapollo

3 hours is NOTHING. We do that for build sessions! I am just over 3 hours from @bsgkid117 and just over an hour from @Beaver
    100 scale Bis is a rather… large boat. Even in 144 shes big..

9. Mark C. DeCaro

Mark C. DeCaro Member

You're right. I was hoping to find someone a little more local to get together with and pick their brains in person.

10. Mark C. DeCaro

Mark C. DeCaro Member

Sorry to bother you but, I've been going through the rules of
    the IRCWCC and I hate to say I'm just a little confused about the Classes. The Bismarck was built at 41,000 long tons, but fully loaded at 49,500.
    Which weight would I have to go by to determine the class of the ship to be within proper guidelines of the rules?
    I would guess class 6 but would like to be sure.

11. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

IRCWCC Class/units are determined by the ship's "Standard Displacement." Bismarck is a class 6, 6.5 unit boat.

You can always check the Shiplist (https://ircwcc.org/shiplist.php) for what a ship should weigh/units/scale length/scale beam/etc.

12. Mark C. DeCaro

Mark C. DeCaro Member

Thank you so much!!

13. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

Not a problem. The rules are kinda dense, and can be quite imposing. In reality, they're not that hard to understand and implement. If you have questions, never be afraid to ask, and you can always shoot me a PM. I don't mind discussing the hobby with new people if they require phone or voice chat guidance.

Mark C. DeCaro likes this.
  14. Mark C. DeCaro

Mark C. DeCaro Member

I do appreciate that, thanks! Still just looking for a hull right now, but at least I can learn and stock up along the way.

bsgkid117 likes this.
  15. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

Bismarck is a big boat and can be a lot for a newer captain to handle. If you wanted to start out with something smaller/easier, but of a similar flavor, that also will remain useful (as a rules-allowed class 3 backup ship), I'd recommend checking out an Admiral Graf Spee/Panzerschiff. 3.5 units, much cheaper to build/operate than a Bismarck, also easier to transport. When you have some battles under your belt and feel confident with the intricacies of building, *then* you jump into the big guy.

I'm not just saying this because I sell a Graf Spee kit which is very easy to build for new people

16. Mark C. DeCaro

Mark C. DeCaro Member

Something to ponder... Thank you!

17. darkapollo

Ive built a Bismarck as a new captain. 0/10 would recommend. It was awful. It is too much boat for a new captain.
    Not only is it about 40lbs and 6’ long, but you have 4.5 unit guns and 2 pumps. There is A LOT that can go wrong on a boat that big that a new captain just doesnt need to bother with.

I went from that to a 4.5U Derf.. and now a 3.5U Graf Spee. Ill happily field a 10lb Graf over a 40lb Bis to really start out.
    Ill revisit Derf and Bis later.. but right now, mid sized with simple systems is the way to go.

18. Mark C. DeCaro

Mark C. DeCaro Member

Thank you, I've actually been considering that after the last conversation I had with bsgkid 117. This is ugly on my face, it ain't stupid!:laugh:
    I got involved with this site because of the experience y'all have and that's why I ask questions and take good advice. I feel I'm getting the best advice
    I can get so... I've decided to take this advice and as soon as I unload my Bismarck Hull, I'm going with the Graff Spee.
    Thank you so much!

Beaver likes this.