Help Bismarck warship build

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by gunsnrosesx, Sep 11, 2011.

1. gunsnrosesx

gunsnrosesx Member

Hi, I will be buying a 1/144 bismark hull+kit from http://www.strikemodels.com/products/ but i need to know what other (recomended) items i will need to finish this product. I will be making this a combat ship. Pretty much i need everything to make the ship combat ready. All help is greatly appreciated. I know they have everything on that site i need, so if somone can tell me the part numbers i need that would be great. also if you have any tips for me building the ship that would be great aswell.
    Thank You
    Dave

2. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

Hello Dave.
    Welcome to the hobby, and this site.
    Do you know which group you plan to battle with already?
    There are some big-gun folks out in Va., or thereabouts. Mid-Atlantic battlegroup, and Blacksburg battlegroup (I think).
    There are some fast-gun folks out in eastern Pa, (Philly), Md, N.J., N.Y. IRCWCC.
    And there are some Treaty folks out in easter Pa, and Md, or Va.
    Looks like the folks out in Philly may be the closest to you.
    We are here to help, but knowing which format you plan to set the boat up for will determine what internals you will need.
    Mikey

3. gunsnrosesx

gunsnrosesx Member

Thank you Mikey i just started this whole rc battleship thing, so i am pretty new to this. i figured it should be pretty fun considering i love to build models. Would you happen to know a website for the group near me?

4. froggyfrenchman

Most of the groups have yahoo sites and such, but this site is a good start.
    You can scroll down to the organizations area, and find a lot of info, like rules and such.
    You can also go to the home page on this site, and click on the club near me thingy, and that will
    help you locate folks in the various clubs.
    Mikey

5. froggyfrenchman

Then you can scroll down further, to the local clubs area for more info.
    Happy hunting.
    Mikey

6. Miller7D

Miller7D Member

As a fellow first-time RC warship/battleship builder, I recommend getting your ship running before you arm it: Strike Models has their recommended parts list on their DKM Bismarck page, so you should have a good idea of what you'll need to get started. When it comes to Radio/Receiver setup, I went with the Futaba 6EX 2.4Ghz system, and that's worked pretty well for me thus far. German warships have interesting drive setups, so I recommend looking at other Bismarck build threads to see what others have done; that always helps me, even if it isn't pertaining directly to my ship. A lot of the ideas here are good ideas, and while not all ideas will work for you, they might help get you going in the right direction, which is always good.

Why get it running before arming it? Well, for me, getting my Iowa-class monster running was a feat unto itself for a first-timer, but it runs, runs beautifully, and I have a pretty good understanding of the ship's characteristics and handling, as well as an idea of what I'm doing when it comes to onboard electrical elements, batteries, and so on. Plus, it's a really nice first goal to set, and it takes a lot of the pressure off. Also, people love to see huge battleships out on the local ponds running around. My Iowa-class USS Illinois attracts more than a few onlookers whenever she's out in public.

7. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

Where do you live?
    Building a Bismarck is a big undertaking so maybe getting a running model is not a bad idea. I like the idea of a local captain to help and would recommend finding the nearest group to visit.

8. Knight4hire

Knight4hire Active Member

Hi Dave;

What rule set are you going to use? (IE Fast Gun, BIG GUN, etc)

On the Strike Model Web site they list everything needed.
    The hull & kit is a basic ship ( A nice static model, it will not be operational.)
    To make it an operational ship you will need to add the following:
    The Hardware running kit, Radio, servos, Batteries, Pump, The CO2 system and guns.
    (The Stirke Models Hardware running kit is for fast guns)

Please note that the Strike web site states that DKM Bismarck is for an experienced builder and should not be a "First time build".

9. Knight4hire

I also am looking that the Strike Models Bismark hull.
    I am planning on using it to build DKM Tirpitz.

10. Miller7D

Miller7D Member

Oh, come now, Knight: they also say the Iowa-class is recommended for advanced builders as well and shouldn't be a first-time kit ;)

Sometimes you have to learn to run before you can walk, lol.

11. gunsnrosesx

gunsnrosesx Member

I am no first time builder of a model, ive built sooooo many models im just worried obout getting it runing, wen its electronics i get somewhat stuck, i know positive and negative but man it gets confusing, as far as building it, i can build anything from small to large. so i am not to worried about the skill level i built a couple balsa wood b-17's with my dad wasnt as bad as people say. anywho i just am worried about getting it to run/work. thank you for the concers and suggestions i will be ordering it Sept 23 and receiving it in a week so i have time to gather materials.

12. gunsnrosesx

gunsnrosesx Member

haha yea its pretty cool, im a big WW11 fanatic, i have a huge colection and the battle between the hood was insane

13. Knight4hire

To tell the truth, I have been wondering why they say it should not be a first build.
    I have always been told to build something big for your first time.

14. gunsnrosesx

gunsnrosesx Member

really?, i gues that kind of makes sense bigger parts

15. gunsnrosesx

gunsnrosesx Member

ok now i need a perfered rc controler, like the name of it
    Thanks Dave

16. NASAAN101

NASAAN101 Well-Known Member

love lZ evol,
    why a bismarck? She's huge! I would love to get her but i got talked out of it!!! Have fun with her!!!
    Nikki

17. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

Bigger means more to go wrong and it will.
    plus it's heavier to get off the bottom. It will be on the bottom. We all end up there sooner or later.

[​IMG]

18. gunsnrosesx

gunsnrosesx Member

haha i know she's huge its why im so fasinated, as for the depth and weight im not to scared i love the water and im looking to have fun with it, and i am really looking forward to this build. still need a good/okay recomended remote
    Dave

19. Knight4hire

In our club we have found that the small ships are the more difficult and more expensive build.

the smaller the ship the harder it is to place hardware and balast the hull.

I have a Mogador that is giving me a lot of head aches.

Running it un-armed is no problem but to arm the turrets and torpedos, UGH! It looks like I can have CO2 or I have a battery, but not both. There just is not room inside of the hull.

20. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

I'm not saying small/tiny just smaller. Class 4-5. I personally like West Virgina/Nevada class, Badens are good too.
    For a transmitter, I recommend the spectrum DX6i