Help with many questions

Discussion in 'New England Task Force (IRCWCC)' started by EricMA, Feb 2, 2008.

1. EricMA

EricMA Member

Hello
    I just received my plans for a fletcher class destroyer in 1/96th scale. Now I have a few questions.
    1. Is the size of the destroyer I'm building going to be the same as the size in the plans since the plans are in the same scale as I'm building?
    2. I've decided to try and build my own hull instead of buying one. What is the best material to use for the frame work and where can I get it?
    3. I fould the plans confusing when it comes to the sheet with the hull lines. I can't figure out how to read them. How do you figure out what the size and shape of each section to make a templet from?

2. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

1) Yes, since they are in the same scale the plans are the same size as the model you will be building. I would recommend checking to see that the length and width are within 5% of the historical dimensions.
    2) I like aircraft plywood. The thickness of the wood depends on your rib spacing. I often use 3/8" ribs and keel, 1/4" subdeck, and 1/8" deck. This may not be best for your application, so take a look at the rules and the ribs you are given and talk with local members. You should be able to get this at the hobby store.
    3) Often, the rib sections are shown so that one side of the ribs are for the forward half of the ship and the other side is the back half. In the rib sections of the Jean Bart (provided by Tugboat) you can see this as well. In the case of the Jean Bart, the forward ribs are on the right half, and the after ribs are on the left. To make a template of a rib, you simply mirror it over the center line.

http://www.rcnavalcombat.com/rcnavalcombat/FileManager/ViewFile.aspx?id=695

3. EricMA

EricMA Member

Kewl Thank you. that helps a lot. Now I just have to find someone local and find out the rules and requirements.

4. Powder Monkey

Powder Monkey Active Member

hey Eric how you makeing out ?

5. EricMA

EricMA Member

Hey
    I have a set of prints and some of the material. I am waiting on another set of prints that are better. I haven't had time to email you sorry. things got real crazy at work and then I just had a hernia operation this past friday. I still want to get with you so you can show me how to start building the hull.

6. Powder Monkey

np what scale you end up going with ?

7. Powder Monkey

8. Powder Monkey

if not 1/144 will need rules

9. EricMA

EricMA Member

Going with a Fletcher class Destroyer and a Des Moines Class Cruiser in 1/96. Waiting for the plans for the Cruiser. The plans are hard to read for the destroyer for the shape of the Hull. Not sure how to make the templet for the hull but I have the stuff to start it.

10. Powder Monkey

let me know whene 144 is in

11. Powder Monkey

Eric u still alive ?

12. EricMA

EricMA Member

LoL Ya very busy week with three kids out of school for a week. all three were sick. One had Pneumonia and the other two had a stomach bug. A new R/C shop opened up up the road from my house. Has some of the stuff I need.