Hey everyone.

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by soothsayer, Dec 11, 2023.

1. soothsayer

soothsayer New Member

Hey there. I’ve been involved in RC as a hobby since the early 1980’s and as a manufacturer in the industry since the early 90’s. I have never battled, but I have been aware of this part of the hobby since its inception. I have a question as a casual observer: what is the smallest diameter projectile that someone has built a gun for? I ask because I have some 1/100 warships and I would love to outfit guns on the 130mm cannons. I know everyone is very cognizant of safety and any deviations from the national rules is frowned upon. I have my own private pond and I can assure everyone I am a responsible operator.

2. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

Do you have any interest in hosting a battle? We have spare ships

3. soothsayer

soothsayer New Member

I’ve never really considered it, to be honest. My interests are in recreating functional aspects of a warship. Be that a helicopter taking off or working armament, that’s what I enjoy. Competitive combat could be fun, but if I’m allocating time, it probably is not on my radar.

4. Nomercy

Nomercy Well-Known Member

I'd show up.

5. Commodore

Commodore Well-Known Member

Well, look who's suddenly popular!

Yeah, aside from that, to answer your other question, I don't think anyone has tried anything smaller than .177. It's hard enough to get that to work properly.

6. soothsayer

soothsayer New Member

Thanks.

7. soothsayer

soothsayer New Member

This is the stuff I’m into. Night firing of Kashtan CIWS on my 1/100 Kirov battle cruiser.

Attached Files:

8. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

.177 diameter BB's are the hobby standard. We have ships that have primary battery turrets that are 5" guns that are armed, it's difficult and often the actual gun is mounted/hidden somewhere behind the turret and just passes through the face of the turret. If you aren't trying to abide by any specific club ruleset, I don't see why you couldn't arm say a WW2 USN BB's 5" guns but it would be tight and making them move and fire would be a massive feat in micro-engineering.