Hey from utah

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by crackerzach, Jun 25, 2009.

1. crackerzach

crackerzach Member

Hey everybody, been waiting to jump in and finally made the plunge. Can't decide if I want to go to ircwcc or mwc though :cry:

2. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

Hey! Welcome to the fun!
    Id suggest going MWC, if I recall correctly most of the people out that way are MWC and it helps to have people to battle against. Also they arent exclusive clubs its pretty easy to battle with either as the rules are mostly the same. Any ideas on what you want to build as your first ship?

3. crackerzach

crackerzach Member

Probably a cruiser but i just don't know which one. I'm on a very tight budget

4. Knight4hire

Knight4hire Active Member

Welcome!

Just hang out with folks of each club.
    Go to a few meets.
    Then join the one you feel most comfortable with.

There is a lot more to this than just building and sailing ships.

5. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

Agreed. If possible go to a meet, you may find folks that have a loaner ship you can try out...

6. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

The MWC is having their Nationals in Denver. If you have time drive over for a day. Info is posted on the site below.
    http://www.mwci.org/eventsites/Colorado/

7. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

Welcome.
    I am not so sure that picking the boat to build isn't one of the hardest parts. But definately try to drop in at an event and see the folks, and their boats.
    Mikey

8. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

I agree, I lucked on this forum for a couple months trying to figure out what kind of boat to get, and bought a hull right before my first meet. Definitely go to the meet first and drive around some one's boat. Well worth the trip in time and could save you $ if youre not really that into it. Good luck, and if I had to say which boat to go with, I'd suggest a cruiser. Lots of different ones, lots of history and some really cool looking ones. Best of Luck to you.

9. eljefe

eljefe Active Member

What part of Utah are you from?

10. crackerzach

crackerzach Member

Thanks for the tips guys! I'll try and convince my parents to let me go there. I live in the wasatch valley in the city of Kaysville. You'll probably have to look it up because NOBODY knows where it is

11. crackerzach

crackerzach Member

I was just on the NATS site and I don't know if i have to pay a fee to get or something. And do I have to register? And what day would be the best to go? And why am I asking so many questions?

12. SnipeHunter

You dont have to pay a fee to go if you arent going to battle, its free to watch and ask questions. You dont have to register either if you aren't battling, all that only applies to those of us that are going to battle. Best day to go? thats a tough one. If you're only going to go one day thursday is probably the day to go, you'll get to see both a fleet battle and a campaign battle, and NATS is generally a little more relaxed later in the week. Monday is traditonally two fleet battles, tuesday is fleet battle and campaign, wed is 1v1's, cruiser only,small fleet, other random pickup battles as well as night battle, thursday is fleet and campaign and then friday morning is a fleet battle and sometimes a few more pickup battles afterwards depending on how people are feeling and the state of ships. Bring some saftey glasses if you come, there should be plenty available if you need a pair but if you have your own you probably like those more. You'll have more questions than youll know what to do with, its pretty normal. Just dont let it overwhelm you, there are plenty of threads on here where you can go for info. Getting in contact with someone local is the best thing to do.

13. crackerzach

crackerzach Member

Thank you, now comes the hard part, trying to convince my parents to let me go. I think it's time to start being a suck up

14. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

You in high school? I am, and its hard to do it when its school time, but summer is a great time to get involved. Even going for one day is good.
    And yes, sucking up is the best way to get stuff. that and the promise of working off the debt u will incurr

15. crackerzach

crackerzach Member

Yep, I go to Davis High. I think I have enough money to get a cruiser. It sounds like I'm not the only one who knows the golden rule in getting stuff :)

16. crackerzach

crackerzach Member

Question: what's the difference between MWC and IRCWCC?

17. SnipeHunter

Location, Size, a few rules.
    Basically IRCWCC is the Northeast section of the country, MWC is pretty much everywhere else. I think Washington might have some IRCWCC folks as well. Due to that the MWC is a little larger. MWC split from IRCWCC about 10 years ago and so the rules are pretty much the same, there are a few small differences but most ships built for one club can easily battle in the other. In fact I do that all the time. There are some differences in the orginizations(insurance, how rule proposals work, things like that) as well but those dont really effect how the boats work.
    For a cruiser (class 3), which is generally the recommended starting point for most people, expect to spend roughly $700 +- $200 depending on the specifics of your build and what tools you may or may not already have.

18. crackerzach

crackerzach Member

So if I do decide to get a ship, would the HMS Exeter be a good choice

19. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

The Exeter would not be a great choice for a first boat, as it is a little smallish, and light weight for a cruiser. But as long as you listened to the advice of some of the battlers on here that have built cruisers, you would stand a pretty good chance of ending up with a boat that would do pretty good.
    Fitting everything into a boat that small is a bit of a challenge. But keeping the weight down is critical.
    It is a great looking ship, with lots of history. And there are not a lot of them out on the water, so it would be a cool addition to the list of ships that are battling.
    Mikey

20. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

If you're looking Allied, the way to go for a starter cruiser is with a Brooklyn or Northampton (aka Houston) from Strike Models. The other option is the Cleveland from Battler's Connection. The Cleveland and Brooklyn are nearly identical, and can also be used to build the Brooklyn, St Louis, Cleveland and Fargo class light crusiers. They can also be used to build the one off USS Wichita, a heavy cruiser. For IRCWCC/MWC all the ships are alike performance wise, you basically pick your name and superstructure that you like...speed and firepower is the same.