Hi everyone!!!Guns for a XVIII century Jabeque!!!

Discussion in 'Weapons & Pneumatics' started by Adherbal, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Adherbal

Adherbal New Member

Hi my name is Eduardo and I'm from Spain. I'm archeologist and sculptor and I've been always fascinated with scale models and now I'm starting in this amazing new hobby!! Naval combat!!! I'm glad I found this site because I have a project in mind and I think you are best suited tobe consulted.
    You see, I plannig to build an eighteenth-century Spanish Jabeque, at 1 / 35 scale and was thinking of putting co2 guns. The intention is to build two ships that way and have a good fight!!!. My question is: How could make a firing system for 12 cannons in each rail? and another thing, to give a little truth to the matter, the volleys should be random after the first moments of combat,any idea about it?
    Thak you for your answer and hope to enjoy with this as much as you do!!

2. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

You're not the only one who likes older ships with sails rather than steam. A few people here are slowly experimenting with sailing these ships and determining if they are suitable for combat. Users Tugboat and Kotori87 (my twin brother) so far have been leading the development. Kotori has built two smaller, unarmed models of USS Constitution (1/96) and HMS Victory (1/100) to learn about sailing an older, square-rigged ship before going in all the way. Tugboat has jumped right in and started a pair? of 1/48 scale frigates. If you look at this thread, you can see some of the recent discussion on this topic
    http://www.rcnavalcombat.com/Forum/tabid/58/aff/563/aft/440856/afv/topic/Default.aspx

Kotori is currently at US Navy Bootcamp and won't graduate until October, but he shipped me both the Constitution and the Victory so I could try them out. I believe the thread listed above includes more than 19 pages of discussion. You can see experienced battlers considering potential problems and working on technical challenges, as well as developing basic rules of construction. I believe there is a preliminary set of rules posted for 1/48 scale. You can also find photos and videos of various models.

3. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

4. Adherbal

Adherbal New Member

Hi Gascan, and thank you for your quick response!. I've checked the link and it's very interesting, but there are some concepts I don't understand because of language. As I told I'm begginig and I have been looking for a complete firing system design or draw, a simple one, but I haven't found it yet. I'll keep looking. I've seen the Victory and lokks nice, but i think that for this kind of ship maybe a larger scale would be better, but there always the price question. I think that maybe a 1/35 or even 1/24 would be a proper scale, as you would need a lot of space. And also I desagree about not include as much cannons as the original has, because thats the great thing of this!!! A full burst of twelve or twenty guns per rail must be simple amazing!!! I'll keep researching. Congrat your twin as soon as he graduates. I was a marine some time ago, in the oldest marine corp of the world, Infateria de Marina espaƱola!!!!

5. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

In 1/25 scale, the ship would be huge and quite impressive in it's own right. The weight of the gun system is not a small matter, though. I am at work and will post more as time and patient load allows.

6. Adherbal

Adherbal New Member

Hi I 've found this spanish page, it's interesting in order to see how servos and other things work in a ship sail RC, ans also have some good tips of a wood scale ship construction. It's a real good forum. By the way this is the model I'm going to do!!! It's a beauty, isn't it?
    http://www.modelismonaval.com/foro/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7570&sid=0ce965f5038f671d9ad06af498b9b57e

7. Adherbal

Adherbal New Member

[​IMG]
    This a concept design for a battery of XVIII century frigate or other ships. I guees it has a lot of mistakes or malfuntions, so please express freely. All Ideas are welcome Hasta pronto!!!

8. Adherbal

Adherbal New Member

9. Adherbal

Adherbal New Member

The image it's not as good as it should be. I can send it in a better quality. Ciao

10. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

I can not see the image :(

11. Adherbal

Adherbal New Member

I can see it posted in the forum, but maybe I've put it wrong. how I do it?

12. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

I can see the image just fine. I see a CO2 bottle and pressure regulator. The gas then splits and flows to the two separate batteries of cannons. Each battery has a single accumulator (labelled "collector") for 14 cannons. Two servos move a bar that presses 14 MAV valves. I can't tell for sure, but it looks like the valves will flow air to the breech, and then to a common magazine that feeds ammunition to both banks of cannons. I can't see any details on the breech of the cannon, nor do I see any o-ring, so I'm not sure how it actually fires. As far as I can tell, there are 14 standard o-ring breech cannons ganged together with a single accumulator.

Adherbal, one of the biggest problems with ganging cannons together to fire at the same time is making them fire at the same time with the same power. If one cannon fires before the others, most of the gas will flow out that cannon. That reduces the power of the other cannons, and some may not even fire at all.

If I have more free time from my studies (Navy A-school takes up most of my time), I'll try to review everything my brother Kotori has on cannons and construction of sailing ships.

13. Adherbal

Adherbal New Member

Hi Gascan, thank you for your answer.You're right about what you say of the firing order, but if I could achieve that all the mav valves fire at the same time then I guess It would work. You 're right in another thing, I didn't put o-rings ( here we call them "junta torica") but for sure they will have. By other side it will be a single round magazine conected with each pair of cannons of the same line , in larboard and starboard. So there will be 14 round magazines. I guess the caliber will be 4,5 mm diam. steel pellets, that for 1/35 scale it's like a 32 pounds cannon.
    By the moment I'll try to improve the design.But here is the question: If I solve the timing problem, will it work? and another one, which capacity should have the acummulator? Thank you for your time. By the way this Saturday I'm planning to go to Naval Museum of Madrid, it's a great museum,I'll put some pictures If I can, also I'm gonna buy Fragata Diana 1792 plans. Another beauty. Strengh and encouragement with your studies,go ahead!!! Hasta pronto y gracias.