Hi from lawton, OK

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Flakman08, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Flakman08

Flakman08 Member

My name is Kevan and I'm a full time Army NG Officer currently stationed at Fort Sill, but I'll be back in Ohio (greenville area) in a few months and hoping to get started with R/C warships soon. I am looking for any and all pointers to get started especially how on earth you get the boats out of deep water after they sink! I am most interested in the Italian Dreadnoughts. Thanks again.
    -Kevan

2. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

Kevan
    Welcome to the hobby, and this site.
    To answer your question about getting sunken ships out of deep water.
    We generally try to battle in shallow water for the most part. But some folks attach a marker/recovery line to their ships with a float on it.
    When the ships sink, the float deploys (sometimes), and depending on the strength of the line, it can be used as a marker (to help locate the ship for retrieveal), or in some cases, it is used to actually pull the boat up to the surface.
    Some folks don't use the floats, and simply try to sink close to shore, so that they can wade out and pick it up.

Are you more interested in the older Italians, or the WW2 stuff?

You are in pretty good shape in southwestern Ohio.
    Treaty is probably going to be your best bet, but there is also interest in both big-gun, and fast-gun as well. Battlestations (96th scale) is still gearing up here too.

I am just northwest of Dayton.
    Mikey

3. Flakman08

Flakman08 Member

thanks for the reply..I am most interested in the Littorio Class Dreadnoughts...does it matter if i use 144 or 96 scale? are you in the vandalia/englewood area then? aside from a dremel and bandsaw what else am I likely to need? thanks again

-kevan

4. froggyfrenchman

Kevan
    144th scale is already active in our area. We generally have several battles a year, with pretty good turn-outs.

On the other hand..
    There are also a few folks interested in the 96th scale combat. There are a couple/few 96th scale boats already under construction in our area as well.
    I would anticipate that there will be one or two 96th scale battles in 2010 locally, but I don't think there will be more than a couple/few ships on the water.

But I think that either format will be a good move. We also have build sessions quite often. So getting your boat on the water will not take as long as one would generally think.

I am in Pleasant Hill.
    Most of the other locals are centered around Dayton.

There is going to be a lot of fun being had by folks this year. It might as well be us.
    Mikey

5. froggyfrenchman

Kevan
    When do you anticipate being back in Ohio?
    Mikey

6. Buddy

Buddy Active Member

Welcome aboard Kevin
    You will find there is a lot of battlers and great people in ohio. I am in Newark just east of columbus , with the Buckeye Battle Squadron. We are 1/144 scale small gun club.
    Buddy