Hi.

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Captain Duga, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Captain Duga

Captain Duga New Member

Hello, fellow captains and admirals. I am Captain Duga, a new member of this hobby.

...well.

To tell you the truth, I've never actually, well, sailed an RC ship before, much less actually build one.

I'm actually an amateur scale modeler of styrene. I'm pretty good with ships, but scratchbuilding stuff small parts isn't really my thing.

That's why I came here, to scratchbuild large stuff, and to get the tiny stuff later. I'm in the middle of bright, sunny, and on fire California, so there's basically no water in a 200 mile radius between me and one of my friends in Arizona.

I'm a student, actually, and I don't have much spare time to do my models, let alone have an RC hobby.

I just always thought ships were cool.

Another horrid factor of me is that I have absolutely no experience with RC electronics. So that'll be fun, yeah.

So, that's me.

What should I do for my first project? I'm planning on re-creating a 1/144 scale Orfey-class DD from one of our talented members, but I can never remember the name of them.

Anyways, good luck and high seas!

Nick Park likes this.
  2. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Welcome!

And please don't do a DD if you're going 1/144 - its a bad platform to learn all the things you need to learn for the hobby, far too tempermental and sensitive

3. Gary Powell

Gary Powell Well-Known Member

If your interested, we are having an event November 7 in Lincoln, about 20 miles north of Sacramento. An Orfey Class destroyer would work perfectly in our clubs format. It would get 2 guns and should be a stable fighting platform to work with.

NickMyers likes this.
  4. Rob Wood

Rob Wood NAMBA Rep

And on November 14th & 15th, we (Western Warship Combat Club) are holding a 2-day combat event at the Lake Minden RV resort - also 20 miles from Sacramento: 1256 Marcum Rd, Nicolaus, CA. We are a 1:144 Big Gun club, and destroyers are welcome. Several of our members campaign them. Yes, they are tricky, and yes - probably not the best choice for a first ship.

At the event, we will have 7 HMS Kent torpedo cruisers for guests to operate, or - if you would rather start out defensively - 7 unarmed cargo ships will also be available. Please feel free to contact me at rwood@hypergold.com for more details. Image below: one of the 7 HMS Kents that will be available for guests to try out at Minden, November 14th & 15th.

Hope to see you there!

Rob

[​IMG]

Lou and froggyfrenchman like this.
  5. Gary Powell

Gary Powell Well-Known Member

If you need help getting started on a ship and need to use of any of our equipment, just let John (Z-Boat on the forum) or myself know and we can set up a build day for you. John lives in Roseville and I am in Loomis. We are part of two clubs; one doing 1/72 and the other 1/144 Fast Gun; so we can help with most anything you need. We even have access to several ships in partially constructed conditions that you can get for very little $$$. Knowing Rob (posted above), I'm sure he'd be happy to extend the same courtesy to you so you can work on a Big Gun ship in his shop down in San Diego. You are going to find the R/C combat community to be some of the most helpful people you will ever meet. We just need to know how we can help.

Below is a new USS Gearing under construction.

20141117_090833_LLS.jpg

6. Rob Wood

Rob Wood NAMBA Rep

Gary is 100% correct: We have lots of build resources in both the SF Bay Area, and here in San Diego County, as well. If anyone is planning on being in the San Diego area this Friday, and is interested in learning more about Big Gun combat, we'll be at the Escondido Barnes & Noble this Friday evening, from 5 - 7, displaying some of our ships and new 3D-printed torpedo technology. 810 W Valley Pkwy, Escondido.

[​IMG]