HMS Duke of Edinburgh/Warrior Plans

Discussion in 'Ship Plans' started by Anachronus, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

I just ordered this armored cruiser hull from Strike Models and need to find a set of plans for it. Or at least one that shows the prop placement. I have the set of HMS Cochrane from Taubmans but that shows nothing below the waterline. Some one must have the hull plans, I don't need them all just the back bit.

2. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

I've always had a soft spot in my heart for the Black Prince. I think with the gun layout and being able to arm the wing turrets (and keep the center of the hull clean from magazines and such), she's one of the better ACRs you can build. I prefer the weapons placement on the class over the extra .5 units for some of the bigger ACRs such as Minotaur and Tennessee.

3. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

The only drawing I've seen of the rudder and prop locations is in Oscar Parkes' long OOP and extremely expensive 'British Battle Ships and Battle Cruisers'. That drawing is fairly crude and looks like the typical illustrations in Brassey's "Naval Annual'. If you can find a library with a set of Brassey's volumes that may be the best easily available source.
    You could order a copy of the actual plans from the British Naval Museum, but their plans are very expensive. Come to think of it Strike might have got a copy of my drawing of Black Prince along with the molds bought from Tugboat. If not, I can send Strike a copy in January when I'm back from vacation or sell you one directly.
    Like crzyhawk I like the wing turret gun positions in the Duke of Edinburgh Class. I've built and battled HMS Minotaur which has 0.5 more units but only 2 main turrets vs the 6 in the DoE Class. I find Minotaur's bow turret too high and will only use its 1.0 unit gun if close in attacks are planned (as in a convoy battle). I have an alternative 1.0 unit cannon in the aft turret parallel to the 1.5 unit gun. and almost always use dual stern cannons. I find the ACs turn quite well due to relatively short length and wide beam.
    Bob

4. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

Thanks, I am pretty sure that Tug does not have them and Strike did not when I asked. Anything is better than drilling holes at random!

James

5. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

I can sell you a copy of my 1/144 drawing that includes my interpretation of the rudder and prop positions shown on the Oscar Parke's drawing. My drawing is more detailed, much larger, and better executed. Side and top views of the ship are shown but no hull cross-sections because I intended the drawing to be sold with my fiberglass hulls (now Strike's). The drawings are $8 plus whatever the postage is. I'll have to put one in a mailing tube, get your address and an air mail quote from Canada Post. Contact me off the forum.
    Bob